We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

The rest of Pacifica?

The regional map certainly still is the great RP incubator it has always been, and most of our RP world fits neatly on our map. While there is no need for more map space or new plots, I think it would be nice to know what other lands there might be on the planet.

[Image: rskeZYQ.png]
Lots of space! The image shows how the South Pacific relates to the rest of the planet, Pacifica.

What do you think? The purpose of this thread is to host a discussion if/how we want to map the rest of the planet.
Roleplayer
Manager of the TSP and A1-0 maps
Roleplay moderator

I remember me addressing this several years ago, but there wasn't much of a response. (。●︿●。)
The Lord of Space and Protector of the TARDIS Keys of
The Solar System Scope

(08-02-2018, 03:24 AM)The Solar System Scope Wrote: I remember me addressing this several years ago, but there wasn't much of a response. (。●︿●。)

Old RPers like Kris are quite adamant that nothing exists outside. There are several possibilities I'd like to point out

1. Alternate World Earth
2. Pacifica continents (It would need some cooperation with other Pacific roleplayers, and most of which, may not agree to it)
3. Randomly generated nations and continents that's available for the taking
4. Make continent bigger, and add little islands around TSP (Make Ryccia's New Continent IC)
5. An outer continent for Fantasy RP that can be bridged with real RP later, like Atlantis
6. Unexplored lands that can be explored as RP goes
7. It's just an intentionally blank canvas, which gives an ambiguous definition of a world outside our region
"毎日の小さな努力の積み重ねが歴史を作っていくんだよ。"

Put a little effort everyday and it will stack up and create a foundation for you.

- Doraemon

[Image: 5bDBXB8.png] [Image: Gny2SfF.png] [Image: tUG5vUH.png]

Treasure Island Awards Best Roleplay 2020
Treasure Island Awards Best Roleplayer 2020
Cocos Winner for Best Character Writer 2017
Cocos Winner for Best International Event 2017
Cocos Winner for Best Overall RP 2017

Things to know: Medical Intern and Biomedical Scientist from Indonesia, Muslim, 188 metres tall, loves trains

(08-02-2018, 03:50 AM)Hammerstar Wrote:
(08-02-2018, 03:24 AM)The Solar System Scope Wrote: I remember me addressing this several years ago, but there wasn't much of a response. (。[NEW MOON SYMBOL]︿[NEW MOON SYMBOL]。)

Old RPers like Kris are quite adamant that nothing exists outside. There are several possibilities I'd like to point out

1. Alternate World Earth
2. Pacifica continents (It would need some cooperation with other Pacific roleplayers, and most of which, may not agree to it)
4. Make continent bigger, and add little islands around TSP (Make Ryccia's New Continent IC)
5. An outer continent for Fantasy RP that can be bridged with real RP later, like Atlantis
7. It's just an intentionally blank canvas, which gives an ambiguous definition of a world outside our region

That’s partly accurate. I did say that it makes no sense for us to say there are lands beyond the map that we haven’t explored yet, but that was followed by supporting the idea of either your #4 or having new continents and retconing our assumptions so they would be fully explored.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kris Kringle's post:
  • Rebeltopia

Some comments to your points, @Hammerstar

1. Alternate World Earth
Like that "TSP continents" would exist on Earth? We agreed a couple of years ago that real-life nations don't exist.

I think our different RP rules would clash too. And what if someone decided they wanted a unicorn-shaped continent? Tounge

Drawing new continents and applying our plot/claim system?

Supersizing the existing lands to fill more of the blank space would be practical, but would also mean wholly different biomes (due to getting closer to the poles or the equator).

Ryccia's continent could be added, as long as we don't make that RP canon.

This could be a practical solution (that we could implement in combination with other solutions). If a map was created for the fantasy RP discussed, we could put the same lands somewhere on Pacifica, leaving any non-canon stuff out of course.

I agree there can't be any unexplored lands realistically (with all our technology). Exploring them could still be RPed, but it would be a historical RP.

The status quo option. It works too.

What if we added more land (could come from different sources), but that would basically be it. Later, if needed, we could implement a plot system. We would know what Pacifica looks like and we could use it for some vague references for nation building purposes.
Roleplayer
Roleplay moderator

To use some of the things that already exist or have been worked on by others, I'd suggest we add two or three new continents, perhaps the one of Ryccia's colonisation RP (although it perhaps needs a bit more detail and the non-canon RP should be kept non-canon for now) and I think, you played around with creating a potential new continent too, right Qwert?

As for implementing those new continents in canon rp:
I suggest the new continents exist and they can be part of historic rp mainly.
Let's make the way free for historic rp or at least historic worldbuilding with colonisation periods from around 1490-1940.
I can imagine Ryccia's and/or Qwert's continent having a limited amount of plots (maybe the Seraph-fantasy-rp-continent too) and active rp-ing nations could take a maximum of one plot on each of the extra continents for their colonial history (I don't think, this would be a problem. 20 or 30 plots max per continent should be enough considering how many active rp-ers we got - not too much, but enough for 20-30 plots).
The new independent nations won't get rp-ed by anyone, they are just known by the rest of the world that they exist and maybe give some possibilities for trade or stuff like that.

To summarise: Basically the idea is that canon present-day rp is still limited to our main continent, but that we can use the other continents' plots for historic colonial canon rp (between ~1490-1940) and possibly trade (for modern time rp). The nations of the other continents won't get rp-ed though, they "just exist".

The colonial rp Ryccia once started should still be non-canon as it was set in our modern day timeline, but I wouldn't have something against adding his lands to the map, if he allows to do so.
Signed
Gianluca IV

Roleplayer (active in TSP since 2016)
TSPedia-Author
Head Bartender of the Lampshade Bar & Grill

Information about my roleplay
Pacifica GI-Land, Snolland (Hazelbrust), Guardian of the World Forum, IUFA-FWC/WFWC- and Pacivision Supervisor • 
Aurora Markatt (Maura)

I like GI's suggestions, even though I do not know of the RP's that people have spoke about. For Hammerstar's list 3/6 seem the best for, somehow squeezing in a timeline there for their exploration, of which GI spoke.
What I have been playing around with on paper are two main continents that span the north, but don't surround the current landmasses, such as the Pacific does in real life. They would be long and thin, having around 30 large plots each. The ocean that wraps around would contain a few subcontinents/large islands.
The problem is, as Hammerstar brought up, is that they are too large too miss. Even if we fit them in the storyline, somethings will not add up right. Maybe our countries share a similar belief that their world is the only part of it and that going past it would be reckless. That could work historically, but now it is just stupid.

To sum up, I am in full support of completing the map, and would love to help, as I love cartography and making maps (same thing, who cares), and adding new continents could be tricky at first, but once the kinks are worked out, I think that it would be beneficial to the storyline of Pacifica.
DylanPickle-

Owner of Harmakmis-Gordista and Carta-Agot

Legislator

A Cannibal of Pickles

(08-02-2018, 09:03 PM)GI-Land Wrote: I think, you played around with creating a potential new continent too, right Qwert?

That is correct, just to see if I could make maps with the same design as B&N (see example here).

(08-02-2018, 09:03 PM)GI-Land Wrote: I can imagine Ryccia's and/or Qwert's continent having a limited amount of plots [...] and active rp-ing nations could take a maximum of one plot on each of the extra continents for their colonial history (I don't think, this would be a problem. 20 or 30 plots max per continent should be enough considering how many active rp-ers we got - not too much, but enough for 20-30 plots).
The new independent nations won't get rp-ed by anyone, they are just known by the rest of the world that they exist and maybe give some possibilities for trade or stuff like that.

We should not underestimate the amount of extra work to maintain and update additional maps or overestimate how useful it would be to claim plots on these potential new continents ( Happywide )

(08-02-2018, 09:03 PM)GI-Land Wrote: To summarise: Basically the idea is that canon present-day rp is still limited to our main continent, but that we can use the other continents' plots for historic colonial canon rp (between ~1490-1940) and possibly trade (for modern time rp). The nations of the other continents won't get rp-ed though, they "just exist".

(08-02-2018, 09:46 PM)Dillguy9 Wrote: To sum up, I am in full support of completing the map, and would love to help, as I love cartography and making maps (same thing, who cares), and adding new continents could be tricky at first, but once the kinks are worked out, I think that it would be beneficial to the storyline of Pacifica.

It looks like we have the same idea of how this would be implemented, perhaps except for an additional plot claiming system. I imagine there could be workshop were we would work out a general layout and people could contribute with their own design of continents (that perhaps later could be streamlined with a common design/cartographic style).
Roleplayer
Roleplay moderator

[-] The following 2 users Like Qwert's post:
  • GI-Land, Rebeltopia

I will begin work on my map design. Will scan it and send it to you. Then I will move to paint/GIMP.
DylanPickle-

Legislator

A Cannibal of Pickles

https://imgur.com/gallery/9cPD9ha
I have finished my version of the map. The bottom one is the real one. 
It includes Seraph's Fantasy Island, two main continents, two sub-continents, many islands, and the rest of the southern continent. 
Please tell me what you think. It is really crude, but Paint 3D is hard to draw and some of this is hand-drawn and scanned.
@Qwert
DylanPickle-

Legislator

A Cannibal of Pickles