We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Repeal of Section V, Article 4 of the Charter

As Section V, Article 4 of the Charter (the Local Council sending a representative to the Assembly) is no longer honored by the Local Council (according to this), I propose to repeal this law.
The Charter of the Coalition of the South Pacific Wrote:V. THE LOCAL COUNCIL

Establishing home rule for the in-game region residents

1. The Local Council will be the local government of the in-game community, composed of three or more residents of The South Pacific, and will represent the interests of all players in the region, moderate the Regional Message Board, encourage activity on the game-side, and administrate itself on issues unique to the in-game community.

2. The Local Council is entitled to self-administration within its jurisdiction on local issues, but may not pass laws or regulations that contradict this Charter or constitutional laws. To that end, the Assembly may not enact any law, nor the Cabinet deliver any directive, that is solely related to an issue local to the in-game community.

3. The Local Council may not be denied the authority to run regional polls, create and pin Dispatches, and to suppress messages on the Regional Message Board according to a standard moderation policy. However, it may not alter the regional flags or tags, and may not send out mass telegrams, without the approval of the Delegate.

4. To help promote inter-governmental relations, the Local Council will send a representative to the Assembly, whose term must not exceed the Local Council’s. The method of selection will be decided by the Local Council.
The Sakhalinsk Empire, Legislator of the South Pacific
Currently a citizen and legislator of TSP. I am active as Sverigesriket in Europe.

Complete Conflict of Interest

I second this.
Either we start doing it again or maybe make a new modification where the LC at least must have ties to the Assembly in some other way?
Woof, woof, I'm a dog I like dogs.

Legislator in the Assembly of the South Pacific.
Member of the Island Democratic Party.
Former Local Councillor in the South Pacific.

(08-21-2018, 02:05 AM)The Republic of Midand Wrote: I second this.
Either we start doing it again or maybe make a new modification where the LC at least must have ties to the Assembly in some other way?

I like your ideas. However, I do not know how to make the LC have ties to the Assembly differently.

Two choices: one, we repeal this, or two, we make this enforced.
Currently a citizen and legislator of TSP. I am active as Sverigesriket in Europe.

[-] The following 1 user Likes The Sakhalinsk Empire's post:
  • Midand

(08-21-2018, 02:08 AM)The Sakhalinsk Empire Wrote:
(08-21-2018, 02:05 AM)The Republic of Midand Wrote: I second this.

I like your ideas. However, I do not know how to make the LC have ties to the Assembly differently.

Two choices: one, we repeal this, or two, we make this enforced.

The LC seems perfectly fine without huge ties to the Assembly so I think it's for the best...

I think the LC is pretty well integrated into our everyday life (Discord) that if they're pissed about something, this Assembly would most definitely have heard about it. Support.

I propose a subtle alternative.

Quote:4. To help promote inter-governmental relations, the Local Council will may send a representative to the Assembly, whose term must not exceed the Local Council’s. The method of selection will be decided by the Local Council.

That way, the provision exists, it's just not mandated anymore.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

(08-21-2018, 04:51 AM)Roavin Wrote: I propose a subtle alternative.
Quote:4. To help promote inter-governmental relations, the Local Council will may send a representative to the Assembly, whose term must not exceed the Local Council’s. The method of selection will be decided by the Local Council.

That way, the provision exists, it's just not mandated anymore. 

I guess that would work, but I have to ask the LC about it. (I'm not officially their representative, it's just that I'm in touch with both them and the Assembly.)

I feel like we should just have it so one Councillor is at least a legislator so we at least have one in the forums. 
I can't think of how to put this into law form right now though.

(08-21-2018, 01:25 PM)Midand Wrote: I feel like we should just have it so one Councillor is at least a legislator so we at least have one in the forums. 

If that's the route the LC ends up wanting to go, they can actually make it a law on their own, since the LC handles its own election law!

(08-21-2018, 06:29 PM)sandaoguo Wrote:
(08-21-2018, 01:25 PM)Midand Wrote: I feel like we should just have it so one Councillor is at least a legislator so we at least have one in the forums. 

If that's the route the LC ends up wanting to go, they can actually make it a law on their own, since the LC handles its own election law! 

Huh.
I should've done something with this when I was an LC...