We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Amendment to the Election Act

This was originally going to be an EO, but since Belschaft has changed his mind there's no need to force it through.

The amendment is intended to legislate the right to private voting. This version has kept the specifics of such intentionally broad, allowing ECs to have discretion on method of voting, the release of anonymized ballots, etc.

Quote:2. Electoral System

(4) Voters will have the option to cast their privately vote using a secret ballot. The method of private voting will be selected by the Election Commission. The method must utilize an unaffiliated account or server, with the method and all votes remaining available for audit. Named ballots are not to be released under any circumstances.
[-] The following 2 users Like Farengeto's post:
  • Midand, Rebeltopia

I was planning on writing a report on our election laws as EC once the cabinet elections are over, and put forward more comprehensive reform proposals as part of that.

Do you have any issue with waiting for that? I'm aiming for mid to late october.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Belschaft's post:
  • Rebeltopia

This appears fine to me.

I'm also indifferent to waiting for a reform package by Bel.

While I don't actually use private votes, this seems like a good idea. 

*fancy support*
Woof, woof, I'm a dog I like dogs.

Legislator in the Assembly of the South Pacific.
Member of the Island Democratic Party.
Former Local Councillor in the South Pacific.

In most election systems, all votes are technically private ballots, so if this were the only option then cool. But I know we've been using the public vote option for a while, so having a private vote option would be ok.

Support.
The Sakhalinsk Empire, Legislator of the South Pacific
Currently a citizen and legislator of TSP. I am active as Sverigesriket in Europe.

Complete Conflict of Interest

No private votes would have been mildly inconvenient, but not a showstopper. I'd probably vote for this if it's part of another change, but otherwise, I'm not sure I can get myself to care enough.

Since we're talking about changes, how about some laws about campaigning? DM campaigning restrictions can't be enforced but if revealed they can be prosecuted. For reasons why we may want to legislate this, just look at #legislators-lounge yesterday.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

My intention is to produce a comprehensive report, which will look at all aspects of out Election Laws, including campaigning.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Belschaft's post:
  • Roavin

Sounds good, I'll hold off and wait.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

(10-12-2018, 06:46 AM)Roavin Wrote: No private votes would have been mildly inconvenient, but not a showstopper. I'd probably vote for this if it's part of another change, but otherwise, I'm not sure I can get myself to care enough.

Since we're talking about changes, how about some laws about campaigning? DM campaigning restrictions can't be enforced but if revealed they can be prosecuted. For reasons why we may want to legislate this, just look at #legislators-lounge yesterday.
I don't think private campaigning should be illegal, but it should be transparent with, perhaps, a requirement to log all private campaigning publicly (with recipients anonymised). RL campaigning has strict rules to make it as fair as possible. I see no reason why this shouldn't work in a similar way.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

(10-12-2018, 08:00 AM)Seraph Wrote: I don't think private campaigning should be illegal, but it should be transparent with, perhaps, a requirement to log all private campaigning publicly (with recipients anonymised). RL campaigning has strict rules to make it as fair as possible. I see no reason why this shouldn't work in a similar way.

How would we enforce that though? We will run into the same problems we have with our current private campaigning laws.
Greetings, I am The Serres Republic.

Currently 'The Future Greatest and Most Splendid General of All TSP.'

I know you all look forward to when I complete my grand quest ;P.

Official ‘Most Dedicated Raider’ in all of TSP. Look at me all evil and shtuff ;P

Heck I was MoFA, Now Im PM. I must be loved owo