We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Amendment to Article 1 of the Criminal Code (Extortion)

Quote:(4) Blackmail Extortion shall be defined as demanding private gains from a player they would otherwise not grant in return for not revealing compromising or injurious information. by threatening them in any way.

It is not only information that may be a cause for extortion. Let us consider another scenario:

Player 1 holds a powerful office in a region Player 2 is in. Player 1 demands that Player 2, an official here, give him something here (an advisor position, dismiss a trial or rule in Player 1's favour, or anything) in exchange for not kicking Player 2 out of the other region. Player 2, wanting to also be in that other region, gives in.

Sorry if that was a bad example, but you get the general details.
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

[-] The following 2 users Like Ryccia's post:
  • Felis Silvestris Grampia, Seraph

I understand the intent behind this amendment but is the scenario laid out not already covered under the bribery section?

Criminal Code, Article 1 Wrote:(8) Bribery shall be defined as the receiving or offering of undue patronage by or to any individual in order to influence behavior that the recipient would otherwise not alter.

I don't think "not carrying out a threat" counts as patronage, which generally conveys "offering support". Our patronage law would then cover a wide range of positive bribes, while this extortion law covers the negative bribes to an equally wide extent.

Alternately the word 'patronage' could be changed to something more neutral so as to cover both positive and negative attempts to threaten a person, and leave the blackmail law as it is.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nakari's post:
  • Seraph

(11-06-2018, 01:52 PM)Nakari Wrote: I don't think "not carrying out a threat" counts as patronage, which generally conveys "offering support". Our patronage law would then cover a wide range of positive bribes, while this extortion law covers the negative bribes to an equally wide extent.

Alternately the word 'patronage' could be changed to something more neutral so as to cover both positive and negative attempts to threaten a person, and leave the blackmail law as it is.

Nods

I agree. Would something like 'undue advantage' or 'undue support' be more appropriate?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Amerion's post:
  • Nakari

Perhaps them exactly parallel, as they are almost mirror images of each other in intent:
Quote:Bribery shall be defined as the receiving or offering of undue support by or to any individual in order to influence behavior that the recipient would otherwise not alter.

Extortion shall be defined as the threatening of any individual in order to influence behavior that the recipient would otherwise not alter.
[-] The following 4 users Like Nakari's post:
  • Amerion, Rebeltopia, Seraph, The Sakhalinsk Empire

(11-06-2018, 01:42 PM)Amerion Wrote: I understand the intent behind this amendment but is the scenario laid out not already covered under the bribery section?

Criminal Code, Article 1 Wrote:(8) Bribery shall be defined as the receiving or offering of undue patronage by or to any individual in order to influence behavior that the recipient would otherwise not alter.

I did not know you could bribe in threats. I should try that with a politician sometime.

Besides, under this logic, the "giver" of this "gain" is not a victim, and may be charged for being complicit in "negative bribery"
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ryccia's post:
  • Amerion

(11-06-2018, 02:15 PM)Ryccia Wrote: I did not know you could bribe in threats. I should try that with a politician sometime.

Indeed, I do it all the time Tounge

(11-06-2018, 02:03 PM)Nakari Wrote: Perhaps them exactly parallel, as they are almost mirror images of each other in intent:
Quote:Bribery shall be defined as the receiving or offering of undue support by or to any individual in order to influence behavior that the recipient would otherwise not alter.

Extortion shall be defined as the threatening of any individual in order to influence behavior that the recipient would otherwise not alter.

This looks good.

(11-06-2018, 02:03 PM)Nakari Wrote: Perhaps them exactly parallel, as they are almost mirror images of each other in intent:

Speaking of bribery, it seems unclear on whether both the briber and the bribee get punished, or only the briber. If it is the latter, then I propose a change allowing both parties to be punished.
The Sakhalinsk Empire, Legislator of the South Pacific
Currently a citizen and legislator of TSP. I am active as Sverigesriket in Europe.

Complete Conflict of Interest
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Sakhalinsk Empire's post:
  • Rebeltopia

I'm not sure if explicitly stating so is necessary. If someone is charged for giving a bribe, I would expect that the person who accepted the offer faces charges as well, vice versa.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Amerion's post:
  • Rebeltopia

One can assume... But Ive heard flimsier defenses. Even the tiniest loophole can and will be used against the prosecution in a court in NS...
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium