We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Amendment to Article 1 of the Criminal Code (Defamation)

This proposal originates from the recent controversial Local Council election.

It is an amendment to Article 1 of the Criminal Code for the purposes of making defamation a crime.

Quote:(9) Defamation shall be defined as the communication of damaging and intentionally false or misleading information about an individual to a recipient.

(10)
Bribery shall be defined as the receiving or offering of undue patronage by or to any individual in order to influence behavior that the recipient would otherwise not alter.

The language can be refined further but the general idea is there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Amerion's post:
  • Nakari

Heh, I had a slightly different wording open in another tab still. Combining both wordings and streamlining a bit, here's my suggestion:
Quote:(9) Defamation shall be defined as the communication of damaging and intentionally false or misleading information about an individual to a recipient.
[-] The following 2 users Like Nakari's post:
  • Amerion, Seraph

(11-20-2018, 05:36 PM)Nakari Wrote: Heh, I had a slightly different wording open in another tab still. Combining both wordings and streamlining a bit, here's my suggestion:

Sounds good. I've amended the OP.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Amerion's post:
  • Seraph

It's great that the Assembly is closing a loophole that allowed Tech to run an unethical smear campaign, but I do have some concerns with the current wording of the amendment as it can be abused.
[-] The following 3 users Like Imperial Frost Federation's post:
  • Amerion, Beepee, The Sakhalinsk Empire

(11-20-2018, 06:10 PM)Imperial Frost Federation Wrote: It's great that the Assembly is closing a loophole that allowed Tech to run an unethical smear campaign, but I do have some concerns with the current wording of the amendment as it can be abused.

How might the language be tightened up?

What does “intentionally false” mean? How would you prove intent?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kris Kringle's post:
  • Imperial Frost Federation

Quote:(9) Defamation shall be defined as the communication of false information about an individual to a recipient, for the purposes of damaging the standing of that individual and done so with a reckless disregard for its factual accuracy.

(10)
Bribery shall be defined as the receiving or offering of undue patronage by or to any individual in order to influence behavior that the recipient would otherwise not alter.

Is this a better definition?
[-] The following 2 users Like Amerion's post:
  • Beepee, Seraph

I think that wording is better, but I would also argue that misleading information should also be included. In reference to recent events, for example, taking quotes out of context would not necessarily qualify as "false information."
[Image: flag%20of%20esfalsa%20animated.svg] Esfalsa | NationStatesWiki | Roleplay | Discord

[Image: rank_officer.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_2.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_3.min.svg]

I agree with pronoun, I think if you make it ' false and/or misleading' it would cover most of the recent 'issues'
[-] The following 1 user Likes Beepee's post:
  • The Sakhalinsk Empire

So if we're making this a crime, exactly what punishment do you expect the court to give in these cases?