We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Cabinet Legislator Committee Appointments

[Image: gk3jlIw.png]
Dear Chairman, dear fellow Legislators,
The world is stirring. After years of naught but diplomatic wrangling and shifting, the ever-increasing tensions across the NationStates world have finally reached their expectable climax. War has broken out. 

We South Pacificans are not involved in that war. Its cause did not affect us, and our people are generally artists and artisans, rather than overzealous warriors. Nonetheless, to remain ignorant of that war is naive, to assume we will remain unaffected foolish, and to stand defenseless in its face reckless.

Democracy is hard work, and as the heirs to the longest extant democracy in the entire NationStates world, we here in the South Pacific understand that better than anybody else. Democracy and our idea of freedom require reason and caution, which is why this Assembly passed the Legislator Committee Act roughly a year ago. Its eponymous institution keeps those willing to exploit and subjugate our democracy at bay. For that to work, this committee must be staffed with skilled and adaptive individuals that understand and live our ideals, and can be trusted by us to do what it takes to uphold them.

After much discussion between ourselves and coordination with the current singular member of this commitee, USoVietnam, today we present to you, our fellow Legislators, two additional appointments to the Legislator Committee to fill its vacancies.

First, we hereby appoint Seraph to the Legislator Committee. A true son of the South Pacific, he has served this region with excellence and distinction, most prominently during a fantastic term as Delegate — in and of itself a show of his trustworthiness. He is very eager and able to augment his existing knowledge, and his membership on the Council on Regional Security will aid in coordination on security matters between these two institutions.

Second, we hereby appoint Nakari to the Legislator Committee. Her belief in our ideals and her service to the region, including as a much-praised Chair of the Assembly, don't let on that she has immigrated here; her commitment is further demonstrated now that she has decided to settle down here in the South Pacific without membership elsewhere. Her background in R/D, gameplay, and even infiltration is a perfect prerequisite for this position.

Chairman, with the power vested in me as Prime Minister of the Coalition, I declare that the Cabinet has in good faith appointed Seraph and Nakari to serve as members of the Legislator Committee in accordance with Article 1 Section 2 of the Legislator Committee Act, and request that the corresponding Assembly procedure is initiated.

The Cabinet and the appointees are happy to answer any and all questions that our fellow Legislators may have.

Signed, the Cabinet of The South Pacific
Greetings, I am The Serres Republic.

Currently 'The Future Greatest and Most Splendid General of All TSP.'

I know you all look forward to when I complete my grand quest ;P.

Official ‘Most Dedicated Raider’ in all of TSP. Look at me all evil and shtuff ;P

Heck I was MoFA, Now Im PM. I must be loved owo
[-] The following 3 users Like The Serres Republic's post:
  • Amerion, Beepee, Nakari

For the record, could the two nominees please submit a Conflict of Interest disclosure form in this thread?

Congratations to both Seraph and Nakari for being appointed to the LegComm.
I do have 3 questions.

1. Will either appointee run for another position within the next year such as the next delegates election if nominated? If so, will you resign from LegComm in the event that you win the election?

2. I understand that somethings need to be classified for the sake of security, but what was process and criterion to choose the appointees?

3. I understand that the cabinet was in talks with the lone LegComm, but how much of a role did USo Vietnam ultimately play in deciding the appointees. Was he largely in an advisory role or actively discussing who he would like to work with?
[-] The following 4 users Like Imperial Frost Federation's post:
  • Amerion, Nakari, The Sakhalinsk Empire, The Serres Republic

(12-01-2018, 01:43 AM)Amerion Wrote: For the record, could the two nominees please submit a Conflict of Interest disclosure form in this thread?
Sure. Taken (and adapted) from my CRS CoI:

I currently only have one active nation (though others might not actually have CTEd yet...) that being Erinor in the South Pacific, where I hold Legislator status, an a member of the CRS and am a Discord chat moderator.

Previous positions: TSP - Local Councillor, MoRA, delegate, legal clerk (well, barely) and ambassadors to Albion and TNP. I was also the Founder and General Secretary of the Southern Progress Party and, before that, a member of the Island League.
Osiris - citizen for a month in 2016 (for an article I was writing)
The Celestial Union of Lazarus - citizen until the Funkadelia coup
Albion - citizen
TNP - citizen

Other nations (mostly CTEd):
Ezervolgyek
The Southern Pioneer
Wyngshade
Smokestack and Riddlepike
Terephah
Prospero on Tempest
SWAN proofreader
Seraphus

That's all I can recall.

(12-01-2018, 01:54 AM)Imperial Frost Federation Wrote: Congratations to both Seraph and Nakari for being appointed to the LegComm.
I do have 3 questions.

1. Will either appointee run for another position within the next year such as the next delegates election if nominated? If so, will you resign from LegComm in the event that you win the election?

2. I understand that somethings need to be classified for the sake of security, but what was process and criterion to choose the appointees?

3. I understand that the cabinet was in talks with the lone LegComm, but how much of a role did USo Vietnam ultimately play in deciding the appointees. Was he largely in an advisory role or actively discussing who he would like to work with?

1) I'm still planning on running for Delegate again in January. I see no conflict between the two roles (nor with my CRS membership) so would not intend to resign LegComm if elected. If it turns out there's huge public outcry over this, then I'll be confused, but I guess I'd just not run for Delegate. Being Delegate is undoubtedly more fun, but LegComm is the more necessary service.

2) This seems more directed at Cabinet than at Nakari and I, but for my part I had expressed a willingness to do the role. I should stress, it was definitely willingness, not eagerness. This is not a role I want, nor one I've been jockeying for in any way. It's a role I'm willing to do to be of my ability because someone needs to do it and not a lot of people were putting there hands up.

I should also stress, after that, that this is not a role I'm trying to wriggle out of or guilt trip people about, either. I just don't want folk to have the delusion that I sought this out for some kind of political influence or anything. It's a job that needs doing and I'm prepared to give it my best shot.

3) Okay, this is definitely a Cabinet question, but I didn't like to leave the list incomplete...
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8
[-] The following 5 users Like Seraph's post:
  • Amerion, Beepee, Imperial Frost Federation, Nakari, Rebeltopia

(12-01-2018, 01:43 AM)Amerion Wrote: For the record, could the two nominees please submit a Conflict of Interest disclosure form in this thread?

Other aliases: Nakari, Parazi, Sammuramat, The Heartbeat, The Great Nationstates Bake Off. I have roughly 900 other puppets used for R/D, most of them now CTEd - would be happy to disclose these to the CRS if needed.

Current involvements: Officer in the SPSF, Fellow in the MoRA

Former involvements: Chair of the Assembly, MoRA, Ambassador and member of the Southern Progress Party in TSP; Lieutenant in The Invaders, Commander in the Grey Wardens, Citizen of the Rejected Realms, a military position I don't remember the name of in 21st Century Rome.

(12-01-2018, 01:54 AM)Imperial Frost Federation Wrote: Congratations to both Seraph and Nakari for being appointed to the LegComm.
I do have 3 questions.

1. After my last turn in Cabinet, I'm really not keen on holding office again for a while. I can't guarantee that I won't have any position in the next year, but I don't think it's likely. However I honestly don't see too much of a conflict of interest between Legcomm and any position I'd be interested in. The committee was explicitly designed to allow cross-membership since so few people are willing to do it. Unless the general populace demands it, or unless I simply don't have time to do both jobs at once, I don't see the point of putting the Cabinet through having to pick a new Legcomm.

2. Obviously I don't know the full details of how the Cabinet decided, but similar to Seraph, it was certainly predicated on me being willing to do it. Unlike Seraph, it's something I am kind of eager to do. When I was Chair of the Assembly, I liked doing the menial repetitive tasks. Legcomm is like the epitome of menial repetitive tasks, all in service of a region I love. I wouldn't be surprised if that played into the Cabinet's decision.
[-] The following 4 users Like Nakari's post:
  • Amerion, Imperial Frost Federation, Rebeltopia, Seraph

Thank you both for your disclosures.

@Nakari, you are mentioned a number of times in the logs released from NPO's internal discussions. Can you please expand on your involvement there?

(12-01-2018, 09:28 AM)Amerion Wrote: Thank you both for your disclosures.

@Nakari, you are mentioned a number of times in the logs released from NPO's internal discussions. Can you please expand on your involvement there?

I was present in the Task Force Lazarus logs primarily out of genuine concern about what appeared to be voter importation just before some fairly important votes in Lazarus. Like, usually there would be 7-8 citizenship applications in a month, but suddenly 7 raiders got accepted within 5 days, just before a vote on if Lazarus would stop being exclusively defender (XYZ treaty, iirc), and just before a recall vote on the oldest remaining Guardian, the defender Harmoneia? It was extremely suspicious. If I remember correctly, I had been talking to Pergamon a lot at the time, and we were both concerned about Lazarus. So I got invited to the Task Force Lazarus chat.

My role was mostly to take screenshots of the Lazarus forum for Pergamon (as a guest - I don't remember if I had a Lazarus forum account or not, and if I did, it wouldn't have had any extra access), collect data, and occasionally give advice on how the outside world saw the situation (since I was the only non-NPO in the chat). Oh, and potentially to get defender help if Funkadelia didn't outright coup, but if we had proof of a subtle coup going on. I justified this as it being in native interests, so of course defenders would want to help! Turns out I was wrong. The SPSF didn't need encouragement to help, since it was already treatied to Lazarus anyway, and TGW just didn't get involved. I wasn't directly involved in infiltration, though I was obviously aware of it happening. I didn't come out with it because the alternative to NPO infiltration seemed worse.

My thinking was that the NPO would be a useful ally if Funkadelia did coup, that if Funkadelia didn't outright coup then a silent coup by LWU would be near-impossible to combat, and that the NPO weren't actually going to cause problems once Lazarus was free. At the time I didn't think they were capable of, or willing to, create a new NLO, and if they had I wouldn't have supported it. I figured that it was extremely unlikely, and that if it did happen, well, I may be able to act against it if I had knowledge about it. I hadn't been around for a lot of NPO history, so was probably a bit too optimistic and naive about this...

This may all seem like I'm trying to make myself seem more innocent than I was. But if you look at the logs posted, there is genuinely very little evidence of me doing much. Trust me, if there was much evidence, they'd have made the most of it to rip me and the South Pacific to shreds.

To link back to Legcomm... the legislator applications I'd been so concerned about had mostly been accepted by Funkadelia (as far as I remember...), who seemed to stand to benefit if Lazarus lost the XYZ treaty and if Harmoneia was forced out as a Guardian. So the moral of the story is, have a fairly politically neutral Legislator Committee that thoroughly vets suspicious-seeming influxes of citizens from elsewhere, both so that voter importation is less likely to happen, and so outsiders won't think there's voter importation going on and then spy on you. Tounge
[-] The following 2 users Like Nakari's post:
  • Amerion, Seraph

Thank you for shedding light on those events.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Amerion's post:
  • Beepee

Seraph and Nakari are two honourable people who had served this region with honour and integrity. I couldn't be more proud to see them serve in the Legislator Committee. They have my vote.
[Image: VCUpXJI.png1]

BZERNELEG 

South Pacifican. Public Servant. Creator. In that order.

Official Thread • Lampshade Broadcasting Company • The Tsunamy Institution of the Law and Public Policy

[-] The following 3 users Like Bzerneleg's post:
  • Amerion, Beepee, Seraph

Not to be that guy but I am that guy ...  

At Seraph: You have consitently mentioned your mental illness as a reason precluding your activity in TSP, this (i believe) has been a reason you not only didnt seek a second term as delegate, but also a reason you went on a leave of absence. I dont mean to offend you when i ask you if you think that your illness will affect your term as commisioner, or if you believe it has the chance to lead you to resign or not do the job to the best level possible. I dont mean to imply that mentally ill people cannot serve in tsp or that you are not fit for office, but it is concerning that your illness has affected your tsp involvment before. 

At nakari: It looks like you have a personal relationship with roavin and some members of roavins familiy (i believe this includes real life meetings) If roavin were to ask you to breach confidentiality of legislators information, would you? Our boy roavin seems to have a habit of picking fights with people on here and has shown himself to act in anger or in the heat of the moment in a rash way before: I am not saying that roavin would have reasons to or would actually try to breach confidentiallity, just that it might be possible. 

Again i know these topics are sensitive, but i believe them important enough to ask. I hope that my attempts to ask in a non offensive way come accross to you both, and i also hope that your awnsers are sincere and made not with the goal of being appointed.