We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Amendment to Articles 1 and 2 of the Regional Communications Act v.2

A note from the Chair: This post (including the subsequent discussion) was split from an original debate on a similar amendment. The post below by Tsunamy was initially located as post#33 in the original thread.

I'm late to this, but individuals should not be changed to "government officials."

Delegates and the Cabinet can determine to give anyone Communication powers as they see fit (see Article 3 of the Regional Officers Act). As such, changing "individuals" to "government officials" opens a loop hole where the delegate can give someone else "Communication" powers and allow them to campaign for free.
[-] The following 3 users Like Tsunamy's post:
  • Poppy, Roavin, USoVietnam

Quote:
Regional Communications Act

(1) Modes of mass communication covered include
a. Mass Telegrams to the region using Regional Officer powers

2. Mass Communication

(2) Communications to the region shall not
e. deliberately influence a regional election in favour of or against specific candidates 

This should be fine.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nakari's post:
  • New Haudenosaunee Confederacy

(02-02-2019, 11:17 AM)Tsunamy Wrote: I'm late to this, but individuals should not be changed to "government officials."

Delegates and the Cabinet can determine to give anyone Communication powers as they see fit (see Article 3 of the Regional Officers Act). As such, changing "individuals" to "government officials" opens a loop hole where the delegate can give someone else "Communication" powers and allow them to campaign for free.

But if you are delegating powers to someone, wouldn't you be kinda held accountable for the stuff he does? Esp. if it benefits you or someone you like?

(02-02-2019, 12:47 PM)Nakari Wrote:
Quote:
Regional Communications Act

(1) Modes of mass communication covered include
a. Mass Telegrams to the region using Regional Officer powers

2. Mass Communication

(2) Communications to the region shall not
e. deliberately influence a regional election in favour of or against specific candidates 

This should be fine.

And this one I'll motion.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

And I'll second it. Though I also move to waive the debate time on this new proposal.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

This is an interesting situation.

The amendment (in its previous form) is still at a vote.

While I am open to hearing a second on Seraph's Motion to Waive, as well as any Motion to Vote (and a Second), please be aware that any such vote will not occur until after the amendment vote has concluded. Additionally, if that amendment passes, the text proposed by Nakari will have to be changed to reflect the new reality.

(02-02-2019, 11:17 AM)Tsunamy Wrote: I'm late to this, but individuals should not be changed to "government officials."

May I ask, why is the Delegate granted the power to grant anyone Communications (and other) powers freely anyways? For me, it feels too lax.
The Sakhalinsk Empire, Legislator of the South Pacific
Currently a citizen and legislator of TSP. I am active as Sverigesriket in Europe.

Complete Conflict of Interest

My thought is that if the delegate is granting you RO powers, your now a "government official".
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium
[-] The following 2 users Like Rebeltopia's post:
  • The Sakhalinsk Empire, Volaworand

(02-03-2019, 01:55 PM)Rebeltopia Wrote: My thought is that if the delegate is granting you RO powers, your now a "government official".

Yes, that is exactly was I was trying to say. I guess I should've been clearer.
The Sakhalinsk Empire, Legislator of the South Pacific
Currently a citizen and legislator of TSP. I am active as Sverigesriket in Europe.

Complete Conflict of Interest

As the first vote to amend Articles 1 and 2 of the Regional Communications Act has failed, Legislators are now free to act upon this revised version.

Please note that the posts (beginning with Tsunamy's first post) have been split into this separate thread as it this version may go a separate vote. I will make a note of that in the OP of this thread as well.