We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[FAILED] Amendment to Article 2, Section 4 of the Legislative Procedures Act

Legislative Procedure Act
An Act to define the procedural rules of the Assembly
1. Legislative Rules

~~~

2. Powers and Responsibilities of the Chair

~~~

(4) The Chair may correct typographical errors, grammatical errors, naming or formatting inconsistencies at any time, as long as these corrections do not alter the original intent of the law, following a three day period in which the corrections are presented to the assembly for comments. Any such corrections must be recorded with the legislative history of each law.

~ ~ ~
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister

Can you explain why you think this change is needed?

(02-08-2019, 02:11 PM)Nakari Wrote: Can you explain why you think this change is needed?

I think that most of the time the 3 day period is useless, as we pretty much always agree on the changes and such.

It is my belief that the current version of our present regulations allows for time to counter any unlawful editing of our laws, should a Chair get any ideas.
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

[-] The following 2 users Like Ryccia's post:
  • Poppy, Rebeltopia

(02-08-2019, 02:14 PM)Ryccia Wrote: It is my belief that the current version of our present regulations allows for time to counter any unlawful editing of our laws, should a Chair get any ideas.

That's a fair point...
If this proposed amendment is generally deemed unnecessary then we can just forget about it ;p

I can think of several occasions where the three day period has been useful, including one attempt to restart the War of 1812.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • Imperial Frost Federation, Poppy

This could allow the Chair to do things without opposition...
I don’t think this change is necessary.
AIDENFIEELD
Legislator in TSP | Active User of the RMB | Former Local Councillor | Member of The Ministry Of Regional Affairs
[-] The following 1 user Likes Divine Owl's post:
  • Poppy

(02-08-2019, 02:14 PM)Ryccia Wrote: It is my belief that the current version of our present regulations allows for time to counter any unlawful editing of our laws, should a Chair get any ideas.

(02-08-2019, 10:37 PM)Divine Owl Wrote: This could allow the Chair to do things without opposition...
I don’t think this change is necessary.

I would never ... Devil

I understand the reasoning behind the proposal but I also think consultations with the Assembly on possible minor corrections is in the best interests of everybody.
[-] The following 3 users Like Amerion's post:
  • Poppy, Rebeltopia, Volaworand

Quote:2. Powers and Responsibilities of the Chair
(4) The Chair may correct typographical errors, grammatical errors, naming or formatting inconsistencies at any time, as long as these corrections do not alter the original intent of the law, following a three day period in which the corrections are presented to the assembly for comments. Any such corrections must be recorded with the legislative history of each law.
(4) The chair may delay...
(5) The chair may freely...
(6) The chair may waive...

Do we really need this? I mean, any legislator can go and correct "typographical errors, grammatical errors, naming or formatting inconsistencies" by proposing it in the assembly, and since the chair needs to present the corrections to the assembly, it effectively means that the chair needs to go through the same process as any other legislator.
[Image: st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u5.jpg]

(02-09-2019, 06:30 AM)Jebediah Wrote:
Quote:2. Powers and Responsibilities of the Chair
(4) The chair may delay...
(5) The chair may freely...
(6) The chair may waive...

Do we really need this? I mean, any legislator can go and correct "typographical errors, grammatical errors, naming or formatting inconsistencies" by proposing it in the assembly, and since the chair needs to present the corrections to the assembly, it effectively means that the chair needs to go through the same process as any other legislator. 

Not exactly the same - the legislator's has to go through a vote, while the chair's doesn't, which saves us from half of our votes being on "this needs a comma" Tounge
[-] The following 2 users Like Nakari's post:
  • Poppy, Seraph