The South Pacific
Philosophers Corner. - Printable Version

+- The South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz)
+-- Forum: Hall of Historical Records (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-141.html)
+---- Forum: South Pacific International Airport (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-99.html)
+----- Forum: Lampshade Bar and Grill (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-190.html)
+------ Forum: South Pacific University (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-30.html)
+------ Thread: Philosophers Corner. (/thread-220.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Philosophers Corner. - Unibot - 08-01-2014

The universe is a bizarre cosmic soup of infinite puzzlement. It is way less simple than what is presented in orthodox religion - a simple misogynist medieval conception of the world, which developed over centuries from the perspective of a handful of ignorant, hateful degenerates in the backwaters of Planet Earth.

[Image: pale-blue-dot.jpg]

This is our world. It's important to us and that's what matters. There is no ultimate moral authority, no "father" in the sky looking after us who would bother telling us, or even care what I, one organism in the billions of trillions of space-time in our universe, stick my cock in, or whether I "marry" or "pray" or "swear".

We use to apply teleological thinking to everything. Fire had a purpose. Earth had a purpose. All of the elements of existence did. They would unite and attract in a heavenly, divine union - celestial fires spinning in the skies eternally. This week I had the absolute pleasure to view Ptolemy's original astrological maps in the Morgan Library, followed by an original copy of Newton's Principia Mathematica, which brought us the idea of a mechanical universe and Darwin's Origin of Species, the evolving universe - change perpetuated through rational adaption, not an overarching intelligence.

We've dropped teleology for everything natural, but humanity itself. It's time to stop asking "what is our purpose?".

Our purpose is not to be happy or make a lot of money or love or fuck or hate or worship anything. You wouldn't ask what the purpose is of a rock or a tree. We know the universe does not "think" in terms of purposes, but we do. Yet, we're a strange case since we're the only thing in all of creation that can be said to be both made through a natural process, but also stand as the product of ourselves and what we make of ourselves. The universe has no purpose for us, but we do.

RE: Philosophers Corner. - Punchwood - 08-16-2014

undefined

RE: Philosophers Corner. - Kris Kringle - 08-16-2014

(08-16-2014, 08:20 PM)Punchwood Wrote: undefined

You have done this three times now. If you are not going to post anything substantial then don't post at all.

RE: Philosophers Corner. - wetwork - 08-18-2014

It's a little hard to see a desired perceptual outcome such as this, from current perceptual models. In particular, the lack of integration between the neural cortex and limbic systems makes many things that we look back at and see as 'provincial', simply valid attempts to cope with perceptual mechanisms we cannot control, or lack the ability to currently control.

That said, it's not impossible by any means, just improbable given the happy wallowing our current social organisation encourages.

And you got to see Ptolemy's original astrological maps? You suck! (in an utterly envy fuelled way you understand).

RE: Philosophers Corner. - Punchwood - 08-23-2014

We are just animated lamps of dead stars and crap.

RE: Philosophers Corner. - LadyRebels - 10-27-2014

So with the last post here being in August I have something to consider/discuss here:

What would be your ideal society?

I will post my thoughts on this after I see a few other people post here. After all a discussion or consideration on a subject can not truly be realized by only one person posting on the subject at hand.

RE: Philosophers Corner. - Llamas - 10-30-2014

(10-27-2014, 11:53 AM)LadyRebels Wrote: So with the last post here being in August I have something to consider/discuss here:

What would be your ideal society?

I will post my thoughts on this after I see a few other people post here. After all a discussion or consideration on a subject can not truly be realized by only one person posting on the subject at hand.

An ideal society, say? Hmm... Well, Uni's gonna kill me for this, but a perfectly utilitarian one. Tounge Resources are rationally allocated and used to help each person reach their full potential and make them as happy as possible, rather than for selfish reasons or on the basis of foolish arbitrary rules with little to no reasoning behind them.

RE: Philosophers Corner. - Farengeto - 11-01-2014

I'll be honest here, the idea of an "ideal" society is a joke at best, many defying basic human nature and a rational self, or containing contradictory or illogical elements.

That said, my ideal society is a rational and technological one where progress isn't hampered by irrational fears, (That said there are perfectly legitimate and rational concerns in most cases.) nor is science rejected by millenia old disproven beliefs.

It would probably be fairly utilitarian though admittedly probably with an elitist bias. I believe in equality in terms of natural factors such as race, ethnicity, sex or sexual orientation, instead relying on the factors that really matter.

Though some of the aspects of my true ideal society are decades or possibly centuries of various technological developments away.

RE: Philosophers Corner. - LadyRebels - 11-03-2014

Thank you both for your thoughts, I need a couple of more days before I find time to really sit here and think about this issue a bit more.

I will say as a lead in for this discussion that I find my ideal society to be a Partnership based society. I will, of course, get into more detail on this in a couple of days. I am hoping with this post to get a couple of more people to put their thoughts into this thread.

Again thank you both for your thoughts, and they are good ones.

RE: Philosophers Corner. - TAC Saxton - 07-21-2015

Space.
It's really, really, really, really big n' stuff.