The South Pacific
[IC] Sanddorn's state visits II - Sedunn - Printable Version

+- The South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz)
+-- Forum: Treasure Island (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Pacifica (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-109.html)
+---- Forum: Diplomacy (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-116.html)
+---- Thread: [IC] Sanddorn's state visits II - Sedunn (/thread-10378.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

[IC] Sanddorn's state visits II - Sedunn - GI-Land - 04-19-2022

Agenda

Sunday, 17 April 2022: Flight to Sedunn, meeting with King Vimmru II in Goends
Monday, 18 April 2022: Visit of Grovne and the World Forum Assembly
Tuesday, 19 April 2022: Meeting with Sedunnic environmentalists, flight back to GI-Land

Introduction

"I'm a little behind schedule", she noticed while she was swiping through the calendar on her office phone. "I originally planned to be in Besern already, now I had to tell everyone, I won't make it until Summer or so the earliest...", she continue mumbling to herself, casually biting on a nail of her right hand without actually perceiving she does that.
Marja Sanddorn, Chancellor of GI-Land, is sitting comfortably in her seat on the government aircraft. Das Auge has mocked her for being a Green, who wants to slash greenhouse gases, yet uses planes to travel, but how else is she supposed to go to Sedunn? By foot?
The annoyance of some newspapers...."Well, we're in a liberal democracy after all, but sometimes they could just be less dumb in their approaches to so-called journalism", she thought to herself further.

Marja looked up at the passenger monitor in front of her, up from her phone. A map was shown, where the plane is roughly at. They are currently flying over the Siculites. "Hm, Ryccia. When will I visit that country? I wasn't even there as foreign minister!", she continued her thoughts. Little did she know, it's not becoming likelier in the next few hours, she'll visit that country, however that's another story.

She put her eyes down onto the screen of the phone again and swiped the calendar away to make room for her notepad. There wasn't much on the list. Her primary objective is still to introduce herself to the Gianlucian partners and gain the trust, where trust hasn't been built up during her time as foreign minister. Much symbolistic politics. Her secondary objective had more to do with actual politics, as she needed weapons. The successful deal with the Frosts had put a smile on the face of the navy, but the other branches still need a bit more modern equipment or software. And that's where Sedunn shall come in. While she doesn't know much about warfare and military gear, she knew that Sedunn was definitely one of the places to go for first, if you wanted the highest grade of quality. So here she comes!

Following that she will visit the World Forum, another symbolic act, and then talk with some environmentalists, hopefully giving her some new innovative ideas for GI-Land. Where or who exactly she will meet, is not clear yet. Her office wasn't finished with setting up that appointment as she boarded the plane, so the moment she checks in at her hotel in Goends, it will be a surprise to see the notifications load up informing her, who she will talk to eventually.

She turns off the phone's screen and looks out the bull's eye. Dark blue water to the horizon and beyond, some white lines visible made through rays of sunshine. It's almost as if someone or something wanted to support her, that flying to Sedunn now was a good idea.

RE: [IC] Sanddorn's state visits II - Sedunn - Qwert - 04-21-2022

His doctor had advised against resuming the normal work pace, but for Vimmru, business as usual was the medicine. It was during the silent hours off that the pain in his left arm became almost unbearable. And then there was the screams and faces of dead people haunting him. And, he chuckled as it occurred to him, what could be friendlier and more pleasant than a visit from GI-Land, an allied nation? In Sedunn?

He looked out the window. By chance, the train happened to just pass a small station, and he was able to read the sign that said which station it was. Ogghuk. If he remembered correctly, he was now roughly halfway between Lityre and Goends. He remembered reading that Sanddorn was criticised for flying to Goends. He hoped that him taking the train wouldn't reinforce the criticism, but he could appreciate the humour in it.

Did he need to check the schedule again? No. It was a fairly standardised procedure, and he was confident in his ability to improvise, should it be needed. Red carpet. National anthem. Honorary guards. Then the limo. There would then be three major things with the Chancellor. First a meeting between the two of them, then a press conference. Then they would head off to the air force base located near the city for some demonstrations. And then a nice dinner! Thinking about food made him hungry, so he decided to head off to the onboard bistro. Maybe they had shrimp sandwiches?

RE: [IC] Sanddorn's state visits II - Sedunn - GI-Land - 04-22-2022

The Meeting
roughly 3 hours later

After a ride in a limo from the airport to the city centre of Goends, where she bantered with Vimmru a little, Marja found herself in a hotel room. The interior design was heavily reliant on dark woods. That reminded her of the old chapels, her father works in. She should really phone him soon or just come visit her parents once in a while, but with all that publicity it has been a hassle to do that...

She took her dark red lipstick and redrew her lips once more. With a little smack she made sure, the colour sets evenly. She looked at herself in the mirror. Her outfit was professional, a white shirt paired with some beige trousers, her long sleek hair tied to a ponytail in the back. She decided against putting on jewellery, because she feared she could make this work visit look more like a date. A picture, she definitely did not want to send off. Again she took a look at her phone, still no message from her office. "How long can making an appointment take, for frick's sake?", she thought to herself. She put the phone into the right pocket of her trousers - yes, it has pockets! - and then went to the door, leaving the room and making her way to the elevator. The button she pressed was highlighted by a red ring as long as she waited. A Sedunner came closer, also wanted to join her in the elevator, and mustered her. A tiny whistle of admiration. She turned her head towards him, such a cheeky grin.
"Excuse me?", she asked. While he was taken aback by her Austral, probably he thought a compatriot was in front of him, he still gathered a few words to answer. "So sexy, young lady", he said with a thick Sedunnic accent. She would've liked to slap him right then right there, but she didn't. "Sie Schwein...", she said and then went to the staircase. She rather walks down those four floors instead of being in an elevator with such a typiclal man. Who knows, what would happen? But....Was she really not appropriately dressed? Thoughts came swirring into her mind and she really needed to concentrate to get rid of them until she reached the ground floor.

Past the reception there was the conference room, where Vimmru was already awaiting her. He asked her to sit down, take herself a cup of tea or coffee. She thanked him, called the waitress for a simple glass of water with lime inside instead. She saw the hotel offering this in a beverage menu up in her room and could really use that kind of refreshment now, especially since it wasn't exactly cold in Sedunn this noon. After everyone was set for the talks to begin, with drinks and some snacks on the table, she started off the conversation:

"Well, here we are. First of all thank you again for hosting me here. As I said earlier in the car, I'm looking forward to our talks and also to the next few days. I don't know, have you heard of that reservoir in Northern Sedunn? I think, my office wanted to set me up with a talk with those activists there... Anyway, I hope we can also get all questions out of the way, that Sedunn might have about this new administration and our way forward in those times. That'd be my intention of this visit", she laid out and then added jokingly: "So don't disappoint the press and me?" with a kind chuckle in the end.

RE: [IC] Sanddorn's state visits II - Sedunn - Qwert - 04-22-2022

"Well, the press is used to disappointment, but I hope to not make it a habit with you" joked Vimmru.

"Let's get down to business then." Vimmru's Austral was mostly neutral but with undeniable hints of a Sedunnic accent. His voice was characteristically deep, but also a bit craggy due the injuries sustained during the siege. Vimmru continued "On our part, we see no reason for changes due to GI-Land's new administration, and I take it nothing drastic is planned on your side?"

RE: [IC] Sanddorn's state visits II - Sedunn - GI-Land - 04-22-2022

"It certainly depends on what you mean by 'drastic'. My administration is definitely eager to set GI-Land on the path to climate neutrality as quickly as possible. That one legislature might not be enough for that, that's clear, but it's our duty and responsibility to shape our economy's green transition. Also I think, you might have been aware of the upcoming referendum in roughly a month. You already know them from Valkyria, that's what we aim for this year, and there are some questions on the table, that are drastic in terms of how they could change our country's future. I also cannot tell you yet, how the people will decide there, whether we stay the same or whether we give up on our special model of government, but I can guarantee you, that this will not affect the Sedunno-Gianlucian relations."

The chancellor took a sip of her water and a look at her Sedunnic conversation partner. From outside one couldn't notice, what he has been through in the last couple of months. But maybe one can, when addressing the global security issues?

"Is my assumption right, that you are asking about possible drastic changes due to the current volatility of the situation? This world has been through hard times recently and you definitely were not in the most lucky position either, when trying to negotiate a lasting peace on our continents. Do you think, considering your experiences, Sedunn is still on the right path geopolitically speaking or have doubts come to your mind, whether countries actually want to achieve stability and peace?", Sanddorn asked. She will notice later, how blunt this question was asked and that under other circumstances, she could've counted herself lucky, Vimmru answered. On the other hand, people might already expect a certain blundness from those Gianlucians. That thought will eventually calm her down later in the night, when she tried to go to sleep.

RE: [IC] Sanddorn's state visits II - Sedunn - Qwert - 04-23-2022

Vimmru unconsciously started slightly massaging his left arm as Sanddorn mentioned his latest experiences. It seemed to ache more. He remained silent for few extra moments to think about how respond, long enough to make her a bit uneasy.

"I've often found that leaders are sincere about their intentions, regardless of their aims, if one keeps an open mind. That is why I still believe in active dialogue, on their terms. Unfortunately, this sometimes doesn't yield the desired result. However, the outcome can be useful still. If we look at what happened in N&GB, we were unable to prevent an escalation, but we were able to establish that the regime was vulnerable to WF intervention, and that piece of information could have been proven decisive."

"When faced with no other option, Sedunn has, as you know, taken decisive military action. We did it in Tasternine in 2009, in Transsuneria in 2015, and in Reizen 2020. The responsibility for those interventions, including the loss of Sedunnic life, is ultimately mine. Putting myself in harm's way to prevent war, or if I expect Sedunners to risk their own life, is the least I can do..."

"I consider the interventions successful, but they have come at great cost. I wish for more nations to share this burden, and to that end, we are hopeful that the Gianlucian Resolution will empower the WF. A more active WF is the next geopolitical step for us."

RE: [IC] Sanddorn's state visits II - Sedunn - GI-Land - 04-23-2022

"Yeah, we are supporting ambassador Meise in this project too. I just hope, that our partners, especially the Empire (OOC: = Frost), will support her too. We noticed their political stances changing a little, but are not sure yet, this also applies to their view on a slightly more interventionist WF."

"You mentioned your soldiers earlier. I'll need to mention mine too in those times, because unfortunately you must be aware, GI-Land has to take measures to increase our defensive capabilities. Defene minister Recke has tasked me to inquire you about sending us an offer on modern equipment, especially for our ground forces or our IT branch of the Bundesarmee."
She looked for the letter of Recke to whom it may concern at the Sedunnic government and found it planted further down on the table. A guard of hers must have put it there earlier. "I probably cannot strike a deal with you today already, but I'm looking forward to the offer."

RE: [IC] Sanddorn's state visits II - Sedunn - Qwert - 04-24-2022

"Ah" Vimmru nodded, "I am confident that we will be able offer you a wide variety of solutions, some directly off the shelf and others tailored for the unique needs of the Bundesarmee. Should you wish it, we can visit a demonstration later today of what we call the "unified domain strike capability", which should provide a good example of equipment and enabled tactics that have been employed successfully in multiple campaigns."

RE: [IC] Sanddorn's state visits II - Sedunn - GI-Land - 04-24-2022

"I would be willing to see with my own eyes, how those weapons work, yes", the chancellor answered immediately to hide the fact, that this was not really something she looks forward to. She recently saw a film about an arms dealer on Risa. A ruthless guy, who has bombed a village to demonstrate the efficiency of the weapons, not caring for any of the lives there. She slightly shivered thinking about that scene and while she was sure, the Sedunnic dellm wouldn't try to impress her with power used against actual people, she couldn't shrug off the feeling of ruthless soldiers using those weapons later.

Wait, what was she thinking? Gianlucian soldiers, ruthless? Hasn't the Serevan War, that she has sent the soldiers into as one of her first acts as a government official back in 2017, shown, Gianlucians are honorable fighters? Shouldn't she feel more proud than afraid of the people, willing to give their life for her country?

"Would that presentation happen here today still? I read, Goends is a technological innovation hub. Does that also apply to military tech or would we drive somewhere else for that?", she interrupted her thoughts with genuine questions about the continuation of the meeting."

RE: [IC] Sanddorn's state visits II - Sedunn - Qwert - 04-24-2022

"The demonstration is part of an exercise already taking place at a base nearby, a short helicopter ride from here. The whole thing would be ca 2 hours."

"And yes, Goends is also a military technology hub, especially for aerospace and electronics."

Vimmru smiled almost mischievously. "I'm afraid I may have to ask you to close your eyes as we pass ASA's* facilities at the military base, since GI-Land is one of our major fighter jet competitors with your Aeronaut."

"Anyway, while we are talking military, I think it is time we planned the first joint Entente exercises. While the details is better left to the actual military, I'm thinking we could practise coastal defence and landing operations in either the Remetull Islands or Transsuneria, and that heads of state or government of member nations jointly inspect it. It is important to show our resolve and ability to conduct such operations even before the organisation is fully in place."

*ASA is the producer of Sedunn's native fighter jets.