The South Pacific
[FAILED] Recalling the Minister of Culture - Printable Version

+- The South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz)
+-- Forum: Hall of Historical Records (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-141.html)
+---- Forum: Fudgetopia Hall of Government (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-12.html)
+----- Forum: Assembly of the South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-91.html)
+----- Thread: [FAILED] Recalling the Minister of Culture (/thread-9051.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

[FAILED] Recalling the Minister of Culture - Witchcraft and Sorcery - 12-28-2020

Honorable colleagues, esteemed members of the Assembly,

It is with extreme reluctance that I come before you today. However, I feel it is my duty as a Legislator to protect the interests of the Coalition and report a serious breach of conduct by a Cabinet minister. Yesterday, a number of people, including myself, Nakari, and Swifty, were in a voice chat in the trading cards Discord server when the most recent SPINN article, criticizing a perceived lack of activity from the Cabinet among other things, was posted. Swifty read the article out loud in the call almost as soon as it was posted, and while reading it became increasingly irate. He was clearly upset and began making comments and yelling about whoever wrote the article, TSP government and politics, internal affairs, etc., to anyone who would listen.

Additionally, and more worrisome, he began to talk about other ministers and what was going on in the Cabinet office in response to the article. I will not repeat what he said in this space, though I can do so in private channels to relevant authorities. There are two reasons I am submitting this here instead of as a criminal complaint for espionage. He stopped talking about the private channels as soon as I and others intervened, and he did not mention any specific Cabinet member or message, rather generalized the reactions in the Cabinet office. Still, disclosing anything from the Cabinet office in a public channel to foreigners is an extremely serious breach that threatened the security of classified information and was a possible criminal offense. And he did not stop making other comments about TSP’s affairs for some time. It took repeated attempts from multiple individuals to ask him to calm down and cease his behavior.

This is of particular concern because it took place in a public voice call with at least 10 other people, the vast majority of whom were foreigners, including many foreign government officials. I was not looking at who was in the call because I was farming cards at the time, though I am aware of officials from at least four other regions in the call and likely more. I unfortunately am not able to recall all specifics of what he said, other than the comments about the Cabinet office, but the nature of the comments I describe above is accurate to the best of my knowledge and I can provide corroborating witnesses and statements if need be.

I am aware that this comes at a time when the Cabinet is under some fire. The SPINN article was the spark that started this fire, and Swifty’s comments about it, overt displeasure at the article, and leaking of happenings in the Cabinet office to foreigners, including foreign leaders, were far out of line. Borderline espionage notwithstanding, the behavior and comments were unbecoming of a Cabinet minister and I feel that the Assembly should decide whether or not the totality of the circumstances warrant a removal from office.

For these reasons, I hereby move to recall Swifty/Imperial Dodo as Minister of Culture, pursuant to Article XI, Section 1 of the Charter.

RE: Recalling the Minister of Culture - Swifty - 12-28-2020

Regarding the voice chat part, I'm sorry if it wasn't obvious but I was overreacting in a way to be funny. Everything I was saying was supposed to be a joke and funny, I see now how it could be interpreted differently but I didn't have bad intentions. Secondly, regarding the part about the Cabinet Channel stuff, I never read any messages, never stated anything even PRIOR to anyone in that vc saying anything. All I said was that the article caused a stir-up. I never read a message aloud, nothing of that sort. Thirdly, yea, I can see where I crossed a line. And I regret that. I just don't feel like it's enough for this. Lastly, right now, this is not my number one priority. My number one priority is running my ministry, and, if anything, the spin article is a good thing because it is holding me (and the rest of the cabinet), accountable. When the article first came out, yea, I over-reacted, but I think that when something is published where it criticizes your work, it's a human reaction to get upset and to over-react.

RE: Recalling the Minister of Culture - sandaoguo - 12-28-2020

Can Nakari confirm W&S’s recollection of the voice chat? Did anybody happen to record the session?

RE: Recalling the Minister of Culture - Nakari - 12-28-2020

(12-28-2020, 03:08 PM)sandaoguo Wrote: Can Nakari confirm W&S’s recollection of the voice chat? Did anybody happen to record the session?

I can confirm it happened as W&S said. I don't believe it was recorded - it was just a pull event VC so it would be kind of weird if anyone had been recording >_>

RE: Recalling the Minister of Culture - Witchcraft and Sorcery - 12-28-2020

Yeah, this was not an official anything. Jamie (of TRR/Founderless), Grea Kriopia of 10ki, and I just hopped in the cards server VC for the pull event and a bunch of other people joined. It was about a dozen people or more at the peak. Was meant to just be a casual VC during the event.

EDIT so as not to double post: I have made the Cabinet aware of the specific contents of the conversation to the best of my knowledge.

RE: Recalling the Minister of Culture - Farengeto - 12-28-2020

I also feel compel to add to the recall points Swifty's rather notable levels of inactivity, which is probably its own charge on the recall.

I don't know how bad it looked from the outside (though my survey results seemed to indicate very poorly), but on the inside it was a recurring point of frustration. I think more than once I had to rework plans due to a lack of response from the MoC.

RE: Recalling the Minister of Culture - Swifty - 12-28-2020

Regarding the inactivity point: 

I've proven that I'm capable of planning and running events (the start of Megafest and the Harry Potter event as well as all the work that has been done with the nation showcase week) and organizing moc, (ie: at the start of my term and mid-December). all I'm asking is for a chance to continue to prove that I can run the moc, I'm asking you to let me finish my term so that I can realize all the things that are actively in planning (there are over 6 things planned for January and I'd hate to have to see them get postponed while we find my replacement.) If I can't do that, then I lose the election. if I'm unable to keep my promises, it'll be clear and the result will be my loss in the election. all I'm asking for is a chance.

RE: Recalling the Minister of Culture - Jay Coop - 12-28-2020

I figured something like this would happen after the MoRA split and seeing the options we had in the election for some of these positions. Just an observation.

RE: Recalling the Minister of Culture - Belschaft - 12-28-2020

(12-28-2020, 06:19 PM)Jay Coop Wrote: I figured something like this would happen after the MoRA split and seeing the options we had in the election for some of these positions. Just an observation.

Then why on earth did you vote for it?

As you say, something like this was predictable and predicted. It’s among the reasons why I voted against the stupid idea.

RE: Recalling the Minister of Culture - Jay Coop - 12-29-2020

(12-28-2020, 11:16 PM)Belschaft Wrote: Then why on earth did you vote for it?

As you say, something like this was predictable and predicted. It’s among the reasons whyI voted against the stupid idea.

No, the reality didn't sink in until the election.