The South Pacific
Assembly-Cabinet discussion on conference attendance - Printable Version

+- The South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz)
+-- Forum: Hall of Historical Records (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-141.html)
+---- Forum: Fudgetopia Hall of Government (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-12.html)
+----- Forum: Assembly of the South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-91.html)
+------ Forum: Private Halls of the Assembly (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-95.html)
+------ Thread: Assembly-Cabinet discussion on conference attendance (/thread-928.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Assembly-Cabinet discussion on conference attendance - sandaoguo - 08-31-2014

The Cabinet has a dilemma on its hands that has the serious potential to alter our foreign affairs. After internal debate, we think it's best to include the Assembly in this discussion and let them play a part in the decision-making process.

We have been invited to two conferences. The first is an Independence Conference that Europeia has invited us to co-host. The second is Lazarus' Regional Sovereignty Conference. While the Cabinet thinks there's no reason at all why we can't attend both, Europeia believes that Lazarus' conference is a competing one. Europeia issued an ultimatum to us -- we must show a "strong sign of good faith" and the only acceptable way to do that is to decline attending Lazarus' conference. (Europeia also warned us that they "won't be held responsible for the actions of some of [their] allies" if we do attend Lazarus' conference.)

We were approached about Lazarus' conference about 5 days after we were invited to Europeia's. There was no real conflict of dates that we knew about. Europeia had only given us a vague time frame of within a few weeks, while Lazarus approached us with concrete dates.

Given that these are two allies, we thought it was obvious that we should attend both, especially when we have a foreign policy agenda we want to promote. In other words, we believed (and still do) that it is in our regional interests to attend both conferences. Additionally, because this is the internet, there are no physical reasons why we cannot do so. There are only political reasons for why we cannot attend both, and those arose after we had already accepted both invitations.

We had some concerns with the direction of Lazarus' conference. Chairman Funkadelia has made a concerted effort to assuage those concerns. In all, there will be 5 GCRs attending, including us (if we go) -- The Pacific, The West Pacific, The Rejected Realms, Lazarus (obviously), and us. We have not been given a list of attendees from Europeia, nor have we been given prospective dates.

The Cabinet has been debating what to do, but we have not come to a consensus on the best way forward for the region. Europeia's ultimatum complicates what should be an easy decision -- participate in two interregional conferences our allies have invited us to attend. So, we think the Assembly should play a role in this instance, and help the Cabinet reach a decision.

RE: Assembly-Cabinet discussion on conference attendance - sandaoguo - 08-31-2014

My personal opinion is that we should be able to attend both conferences. I think the ultimatum is pretty unreasonable, and is seeking to force TSP to choose between allies, when there's no real reason why we should have to do so.

RE: Assembly-Cabinet discussion on conference attendance - Hileville - 08-31-2014

I personally would rather see us co-host a conference. I'm undecided on whether attending Laz's is a good idea.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

RE: Assembly-Cabinet discussion on conference attendance - Tsunamy - 08-31-2014

Generally speaking, it seems to me like co-hosting a conference would give us more control of the conference direction and/or participants. So, I'd be in favor of that.

But, when is the Laz conference? And when -- theoretically -- would the Europeia conference be?

RE: Assembly-Cabinet discussion on conference attendance - Unibot - 08-31-2014

The Regional Sovereignty Conference begins in four hours. The Europeian Conference never set a date for it.

Personally, I think TSP has already played a large role in directing the RegSov Conference's direction. When Glen-Rhodes asked for the bans on Osiris and Balder to be overturned and for the conference to be opened up more, Funk made an effort to meet Glen's demands. There's also a whole segment of the conference for member proposals, where we can propose our own ideas to the conference-goers.

Assembly-Cabinet discussion on conference attendance - Kris Kringle - 08-31-2014

While at this time I can't say for sure (I'd have to check logs), unless I'm mistaken Kraketopia told us the conference was going to be held at the same time as the Lazarus conference. Of course, we were only told that once we announced our participation in the latter.

Edit: that is one concern about the Lazarus conference. Why are we only hearing about that "segment" now? It appears that there is a whole program already set, but nobody is being told about it.

RE: Assembly-Cabinet discussion on conference attendance - TAC Saxton - 08-31-2014

Honestly, it is unfair that Europeia is trying to strong-arm TSP into choosing between them when it is very feasible that TSP can and should attend both. This may be an attempt on Osiris' behalf to distance TSP from Lazarus. If so their is a real possibility that TSP may get dragged into this pointless war and even end TSP's relationship with Lazarus.

Assembly-Cabinet discussion on conference attendance - Kris Kringle - 08-31-2014

For the record, this situation happened before the war was publicly announced.

RE: Assembly-Cabinet discussion on conference attendance - Tsunamy - 08-31-2014

(08-31-2014, 08:23 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: While at this time I can't say for sure (I'd have to check logs), unless I'm mistaken Kraketopia told us the conference was going to be held at the same time as the Lazarus conference. Of course, we were only told that once we announced our participation in the latter.

Well -- if the Laz confernce is about to happen and the Euro conference isn't scheduled yet ... they can't be conflicting, can they? I mean -- if we're cohosting, we should know, no?

RE: Assembly-Cabinet discussion on conference attendance - Unibot - 08-31-2014

Quote:Edit: that is one concern about the Lazarus conference. Why are we only hearing about that "segment" now? It appears that there is a whole program already set, but nobody is being told about it.

@Kring:

Glen-Rhodes and all of the other representatives were sent the information on the RegSov Conference , two days ago via telegram.

September 1-3 will involve discussions on the war, September 5-7 will involve member proposals, September 8 is for closing remarks and September 4 is left open in case the war discussion runs overtime (or it may be used for more time for member proposals).

(08-31-2014, 08:29 PM)Tsunamy Wrote:
(08-31-2014, 08:23 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: While at this time I can't say for sure (I'd have to check logs), unless I'm mistaken Kraketopia told us the conference was going to be held at the same time as the Lazarus conference. Of course, we were only told that once we announced our participation in the latter.

Well -- if the Laz confernce is about to happen and the Euro conference isn't scheduled yet ... they can't be conflicting, can they? I mean -- if we're cohosting, we should know, no?

They're not conflicting. There's no reason why physically we cannot attend both conferences. As TAC says, this is an attempt by Europeia to strong-arm TSP.