We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Osiris

Ambassadors are mainly an electoral buzzword. They sound great by adding more opportunities for new users to get involved, and create an easily quantifiable metric for ministry activity based on the number of ambassadors. But in reality unless the ambassador is active in the region they have nothing to do except relaying messages, which is why the program so often falls to inactivity.

But in regards to the proposals themselves, as MoFA my opposition to the idea should be apparent. The cabinet has been listening to the regional opinion, and I ask that you leave the final decision on a statement to the cabinet as well as any decisions on military involvement to the SPSF.

(04-25-2016, 12:35 PM)Farengeto Wrote: When it comes to negotiating policy at best ambassadors are messengers. And in general our typical ambassador tends to end up being untrained with little to no foreign affairs experience, and none of them would have any political grounds to negotiate anything even of they were skilled.

Well, that seems like a problem that should be immediately addressed by whatever department appoints the ambassadors. I'm sure that Ministry's elected head would be more than willing to actually solve the problem rather than whine about it like it can never be fixed.

Wouldn't you agree, Minister of Foreign Affairs Farengeto?

(04-25-2016, 11:38 AM)Omega Wrote: Here's a new proposal:
Quote:Resolved: The South Pacific will send Ambassadors, under the direction of Minister of Foreign Affairs, to the Osiris Fraternal Order and to the Almighty Jesus Whale. These Ambassadors will not only be responsible for giving updates on what is occurring in the South Pacific to their assigned group, but will also be responsible for giving any important information to the Minister of Foreign Affairs and to the Assembally on the current situation. Should the Ambassador believe any action is needed they may give a request to the Minister of Foreign Affairs to present to the cabinet, and they can also make a request directly to the Assembally.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will be tasked with the selection of these two Ambassadors.

I appreciate this idea ... but as I mentioned before, I don't think we need to start inserting ourselves into this debate. Sending ambassadors will undoubtedly do that.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

(04-25-2016, 03:04 PM)Wolf Wrote:
(04-25-2016, 12:35 PM)Farengeto Wrote: When it comes to negotiating policy at best ambassadors are messengers. And in general our typical ambassador tends to end up being untrained with little to no foreign affairs experience, and none of them would have any political grounds to negotiate anything even of they were skilled.

Well, that seems like a problem that should be immediately addressed by whatever department appoints the ambassadors. I'm sure that Ministry's elected head would be more than willing to actually solve the problem rather than whine about it like it can never be fixed.  

Wouldn't you agree, Minister of Foreign Affairs Farengeto?

My point was that when we actually attenpt to create an ambassador corp the typical approach just throws anyone willing straight to the job. I just don't consider the position to have enough work in the first place.

No it doesn't, I'm ambassador to Lazrus. The biggest thing I did was during the coup provide updates from both sides and give election results. I am a citizen there and take part in their legislature but that's just so I know (as ambassador) what is going on there.
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

Has anyone read the statement that their government gave out on game side? This transitional government appears to be actively suspending things to hold power. If it's believed to be corrupt like thought, then why can't they just wait till the next election? The government in power, lost power by a *majority*.. they may have been unwilling to lose power so they couped.
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016

(04-27-2016, 12:01 PM)griffindor13 Wrote: Has anyone read the statement that their government gave out on game side? This transitional government appears to be actively suspending things to hold power. If it's believed to be corrupt like thought, then why can't they just wait till the next election? The government in power, lost power by a *majority*.. they may have been unwilling to lose power so they couped.

Agreed. This seems pretty cut and dry on what's going on.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

Before I read the statement, I was more or less neutral in the discussion, but now knowing the ruling party lost power because of a *majority*, I favor an intervention of some sort.
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016

When does the Cabinet intend to issue its statement?

Given the rapidly evolving situation in Osiris, any statement the Cabinet makes at this point will most likely be based on outdated information and not be relevant to Osiris as it presently stands.