We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Question:

Honestly this is a question for everyone and not just me being lazy.

Due to time restraints and, the lack of WiFi most of the time, I don't have time to do a search for the answer.

If someone had an idea that they might miss the voting, and they made a public declaration of a proxy, would that be allowable?

I know that for a long time it was not viable, could it be done now?

I mean we could open the voting threads for Proxy votes and if we keep it to Cabinet members....ah anyway just a thought or so from one that sadly might miss getting to vote this time or two around.
My one and only Minion is Rebs.
Now to reclaim my crown.
It is a location joke.
All those who wander are not always lost...
The voices inside of my head get along with the monsters under my bed that do bone dances with the skeletons in my closet while the disco ball hangs by a thread...
one of the1st Delegates of TSP...she went crazy..naw she was already bonkers...

It would need enabling legislation, but I see no reason why it couldn't be done via a public designation of a proxy. I'm not sure if it's a good idea though; if you can't be around for the debate and vote you can't make an informed decision. In practice it would simply lead to some people acquiring multiple votes.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

Maybe we could have an absentee balloting situation? Where the person could submit a vote prior to the election and -- if they can't make it -- that vote would be counted?
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

That could work but we would need to be careful about how it is handled and how often it is used by people. If the same people are using it over and over (assuming we get something we can Agree on) that might be a little fishy.
This is Penguin!!
Nothing Gold Can Stay
Penguins shall one day rule the pie!
And by "pie", I mean "World"!!
Goddess Empress Queen Princess Lady of TSP 
Lilium Inter Spinas // Non timebo mala
I have done a lot of things in the Region in my History.
There's a list somewhere if you wanna go looking. 

Well, the same person would be usin' it over and over, LR, but I don't see anything fishy 'bout that.
The Third Imperium
Journalist, South Pacific Independent News Network (SPINN)

Provost, Magisterium
Sergeant, East Pacific Sovereign Army
Journalist, East Pacific News Service

Foreign Affairs Minister, The West Pacific

Well the person would need to submit the ballot something near the election or else they'd wouldn't know who's running. So it's not like we'd could really have standing ballots out.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

I wasn't talkin about LR!! Smile we know she's trustworthy. or at least i think she is Smile
This is Penguin!!
Nothing Gold Can Stay
Penguins shall one day rule the pie!
And by "pie", I mean "World"!!
Goddess Empress Queen Princess Lady of TSP 
Lilium Inter Spinas // Non timebo mala
I have done a lot of things in the Region in my History.
There's a list somewhere if you wanna go looking. 

(06-12-2014, 11:20 PM)Penguin Wrote: I wasn't talkin about LR!! Smile we know she's trustworthy. or at least i think she is Smile

Never trust someone who's minion is Rebeltopia. I hear they can be quite crazy. :wink:
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

Why yes we certainly are crazy...wait did the voices in my head leak out again?

Well before declaring a Proxy/Absentee vote you would have to understand that you will most certainly be missing the voting period. This might throw a wrench into this thought process but I am going to put it out there anyway. After making the public announcement then your vote is done by your Proxy. You can not come in at the last few moments of voting and change/cast your vote another way. As a Citizen of TSP it is up to you to keep updated on current events in our region so you should be able to say who you would vote for in an election. The Proxy can point out what you had to say and make sure that your vote is counted.

Honestly, and this is a puzzle for me at this time, to keep people honest after they make the declaration temporarily remove citizenship so that they cant sneak back in just to cast a vote that they by rights handed over to another person.

Also keep in mind that this will add more work to the Admin team, but I would suggest that the only ones that can be used for Proxy voting would be the Admin team and Cabinet Members.

I know this is in standard LR type as you think it mode but dude that is life :p
My one and only Minion is Rebs.
Now to reclaim my crown.
It is a location joke.
All those who wander are not always lost...
The voices inside of my head get along with the monsters under my bed that do bone dances with the skeletons in my closet while the disco ball hangs by a thread...
one of the1st Delegates of TSP...she went crazy..naw she was already bonkers...

Or you can just make the public announcement and have the Chair count your vote one voting has closed.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System