We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DISCUSSION] Regional Security

Hello, I am new here (approved yesterday). I do not have any background with regional security matters, so if I say anything that is uninformed or naïve then it probably is. Nonetheless, I have some contributions I would like to make. 

I have put my thoughts in the spoilers below. I am not 100% certain on any of them, they are just the things which have popped into my head. Also, can someone please enlighten me on why the Election Commissioner is appointed by the CRS/will be appointed by the CSI. I am sure there is a good reason, I just can’t clearly see it at the moment.

Thank you for considering my views and also for your patience as I wrap my head around all of this. Sorry for the extra dot points everywhere, I wanted spacing between them and that is what I got.
Former Associate Justice of the High Court of the South Pacific (4 December 2019 to 5 February 2021)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nat's post:
  • Beepee

Welcome to TSP, Nat

RE: Service requirement for Delegate... The point behind an elected/appointed position (serving in a ministry, cabinet, LC, etc.) is to keep the delegate position from falling into the wrong hands. Anyone can join the region with a puppet and garner support from the masses in-game. Id like to think the process of joining the forums and actually putting in some time before being elected to a fairly important, security-based job would weed out people who werent as trustworthy. It also gives the CRS/CSI the time to find anyone who may be trying to conceal their identity, which has happened a few times.
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium

@Rebeltopia: I see. However, in regards to security, how is someone putting in time through an appointed/elected forum position different from putting in time as a legislator or local councilor? I understand there is a difference in the level of experience gained, but cannot currently see how that relates to trustworthiness. I am sure the reasoning is obvious to most people experienced with the region, I am just having a difficult time wrapping my head around it.
Former Associate Justice of the High Court of the South Pacific (4 December 2019 to 5 February 2021)

(12-21-2018, 02:15 AM)Nat Wrote: @Rebeltopia: I see. However, in regards to security, how is someone putting in time through an appointed/elected forum position different from putting in time as a legislator or local councilor? I understand there is a difference in the level of experience gained, but cannot currently see how that relates to trustworthiness. I am sure the reasoning is obvious to most people experienced with the region, I am just having a difficult time wrapping my head around it.

I think Rebeltopia included Local Councillor in his list. Notwithstanding, from my perspective, I would be infinitely more inclined to support (or more accurately, trust) a candidate for Delegate if they have served a period of time in an elected position because it exemplifies to me that the individual has to some extent, the support of the community.

Certainly, you can indeed build a record as a Legislator but simply being a Legislator is not, in my opinion, sufficient for a position of such importance as it requires you to do nothing but vote and 'gift' the Chair an occasional cookie every now and then ( Wink ). Contrastingly, serving as a Cabinet Minister, Local Councillor, etc, necessitates greater responsibilities. Whether it be moderating disputes and debates in the case of a Local Councillor, or arranging festivities as a Minister of Regional Affairs.

I think fundamentally, it can be summarised as; if you do more things, there will be more for the electorate to scrutinise, and, if the things you have accomplished trend towards the good in the good-bad spectrum, then you'll have greater standing in any election.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Amerion's post:
  • Rebeltopia

(12-21-2018, 04:05 AM)Amerion Wrote: I think fundamentally, it can be summarised as; if you do more things, there will be more for the electorate to scrutinise, and, if the things you have accomplished trend towards the good in the good-bad spectrum, then you'll have greater standing in any election.

Thanks for your response @Amerion

I agree with your insights. However, it seems to concern a candidate's electability and suitability, not whether there is an actual security problem with them holding the Delegate role. I am inclined to think that less suitable candidates would not get elected as Delegate. Is that the case? If so, why is it necessary to bar them from running altogether? If they are not a bad faith actor then why shouldn't the democratic process be trusted to determine their suitability?

I ask these questions not to argue against you. I ask to understand why you hold the view that you do, so that I may come to my own conclusion.

(12-21-2018, 05:39 AM)Nat Wrote: Thanks for your response @Amerion

I agree with your insights. However, it seems to concern a candidate's electability and suitability, not whether there is an actual security problem with them holding the Delegate role. I am inclined to think that less suitable candidates would not get elected as Delegate. Is that the case? If so, why is it necessary to bar them from running altogether? If they are not a bad faith actor then why shouldn't the democratic process be trusted to determine their suitability?

I ask these questions not to argue against you. I ask to understand why you hold the view that you do, so that I may come to my own conclusion.

In a certain respect, it is also a question of security and relates to the candidate's fitness to hold such a 'delicate' office. What I mean by 'delicate' is that once a nation ascends to the delegacy, by virtue of in-game mechanisms, it is very hard to dislodge any rogue actor. They could, for instance, appoint their associates to become Regional Officers with border control and hence stymie, or at the very least, lessen the success rate of any liberation effort. This is all the more concerning given our plethora of adversaries who would surely squeal at the prospect of aiding chaos in TSP.

When viewed in this prism, it is logical if not necessary that we should impose further restrictions on the delegacy. Of course, many of us championing such measures understand the viewpoint of those who think these reforms are solely to restrict the delegacy from the masses. And to them, I would respectfully argue rather unashamedly that yes, I have absolutely no issue whatsoever if any Tom, Dick or Harry (even if they are the most delightful of persons) feel the delegacy is not meant for them because the fact of the matter is that it is not an ordinary office but one of immense trust. I shall conclude this lovely, if not unnecessary rant by drawing a comparison with the Queen; I don't believe any reasonable person expects the monarchy, or any head of state for that matter, to be open to an ordinary citizen with an unremarkable record of accomplishments. This is our Queen, and we should treat the position with the reverence it deserves.
[-] The following 2 users Like Amerion's post:
  • Rebeltopia, Seraph

This also relates to the broader question of what kind of position does the region envision the delegacy to be. Is it a position that should be open to anyone, including entry-level politicians who want to make a difference? Or is it a head of state position that should be held by experienced political leaders who have a record of being trustworthy and could be trusted with the literal keys to the region?

That kind of question needs to be answered if we're talking about election requirements.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 2 users Like Kris Kringle's post:
  • Belschaft, Nat

(12-21-2018, 11:05 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote:
This also relates to the broader question of what kind of position does the region envision the delegacy to be. Is it a position that should be open to anyone, including entry-level politicians who want to make a difference? Or is it a head of state position that should be held by experienced political leaders who have a record of being trustworthy and could be trusted with the literal keys to the region?

That kind of question needs to be answered if we're talking about election requirements.

I would be inclined to support the latter.

A number of positions already exist for "entry-level politicians who want to make a difference" — they can propose new laws or amendments as a Legislator, serve the gameside community as a Local Councillor, represent TSP as an ambassador, and more. The delegacy, by contrast, is a position held by a single individual who is granted not only significant in-game powers but also is displayed prominently to anyone who visits the region webpage. In other words, the delegacy is not only a head of state position but also but also one critical to regional security (to the best of my understanding, at least; I won't pretend to be a regional security expert).

(12-21-2018, 05:39 AM)Nat Wrote:
(12-21-2018, 04:05 AM)Amerion Wrote: I think fundamentally, it can be summarised as; if you do more things, there will be more for the electorate to scrutinise, and, if the things you have accomplished trend towards the good in the good-bad spectrum, then you'll have greater standing in any election.

Thanks for your response @Amerion

Pardon my intrusion upon this line of conversation, but I think the proposition that our democratic processes provide an inherent screening mechanism is an interesting one.

@Nat:
I think that these proposed reforms are largely a response to how quickly someone, Islands of Unity, in this case, can attain quite notable and powerful positions by adopting a "populist" approach — i.e. reaching out to everyone, including Legislators who aren't particularly active, and campaign personally. That's how I understand it, at least. That's not to say that these reforms are not good, nor to say that these ideas were specifically crafted as a political response. To understand the hesitation to rely on democratic processes to ensure only suitable and trustworthy candidates are elected, however, it's important to understand the context.

The primary purpose of Roavin's reforms was regional security, and asking all candidates for the delegacy to obtain a reasonably high number of endorsements and amount of influence, which they'll need regardless if they are indeed elected Delegate, isn't unreasonable at all, in my view. Democratic processes, however, are most likely to be focused on each candidate's positions and beliefs rather than their endorsement count and are likely to neglect the logistical, if you will, aspects of the election and transfer of power.

The other force at play, I would think, is that the populist base simply isn't voicing their opinion here, and that's quite logical — the players that tend to vote for populists are generally less active in the Assembly to begin with. As a result, most of the opinions in this thread are from those players most invested in our legislative and democratic processes, the players who are most active in our government, and these players are going to have more reservations about electing a populist to a position as powerful as the delegacy. Amerion's post sums this viewpoint up pretty accurately, but I'll offer a quick summary: it's much more comforting to trust someone who has served well in multiple high-ranking positions than someone who has just demonstrated an ability to persuade people to vote for them.

All of this is a broad generalization, of course; TSP is not composed of populists and non-populists, and it's not as if anyone who opposes these reforms is a populist and anyone who doesn't is a member of the political establishment.
[Image: flag%20of%20esfalsa%20animated.svg] Esfalsa | NationStatesWiki | Roleplay | Discord

[Image: rank_officer.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_2.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_3.min.svg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pronoun's post:
  • Nat

Thank you all for your insight.

I can see that the game mechanics give the Delegate quite a lot of power. I agree that we should not want this to fall into the hands of someone who is going to abuse this power. From what I have been reading, I guess it boils down to how we determine if someone has only good intentions and whether competency is part of that definition.

Presently, I am not convinced that it is necessary to impose these additional restrictions on Delegate candidacy. However, I do see that it could be wise and will probably not present a big issue since people can gain experience while working their way up to the role. In view of this, I think I could get on board depending on the exact details in the final proposal.

I currently think that LC membership should be counted towards the service requirement. If I understand it correctly, the LC does wield a reasonable amount of power. Importantly though, it means that eligibility (as opposed to election) is not determined solely by the forum community. Even if none of these candidates get elected, it gives them a chance to be considered. Obviously, being new, I may have missed something in my consideration of this.

There was one thing that I was wondering: would the service requirement relate only to current service or also to past service (perhaps within a certain period of time)? Currently, I do not see any substantial reason why running for Delegate should be restricted to those who are presently serving in a position. If I am not mistaken, the benefits of having a service requirement would still be met if candidates have had past service (provided that it is not from a long time ago). Perhaps, though, I am overlooking something.

(12-21-2018, 09:53 PM)Nat Wrote: There was one thing that I was wondering: would the service requirement relate only to current service or also to past service (perhaps within a certain period of time)? Currently, I do not see any substantial reason why running for Delegate should be restricted to those who are presently serving in a position. If I am not mistaken, the benefits of having a service requirement would still be met if candidates have had past service (provided that it is not from a long time ago). Perhaps, though, I am overlooking something.

Yes, past service will be counted as well like the requirements of the current CRS.
Chief Supervising Armchair
[-] The following 2 users Like USoVietnam's post:
  • Nat, Rebeltopia