We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DISCUSSION] Multi-stage application processes

I don't think this would be off-putting for a newbie - quite the contrary. Rather than being confronted from the get-go with the current form with freaky questions a day-one newbie doesn't understand like "what's your main nation", it's a smaller approach. So, list your nation, your Discord handle, and off you go. Then Nakari comes in and says "Hi, welcome to TSP! I see you have a new nation, have you played NationStates before or is this your first time?". Viet might ask "Do you have another nation that has World Assembly membership?", etc.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roavin's post:
  • Poppy

(02-28-2019, 07:05 AM)Roavin Wrote: I don't think this would be off-putting for a newbie - quite the contrary. Rather than being confronted from the get-go with the current form with freaky questions a day-one newbie doesn't understand like "what's your main nation", it's a smaller approach. So, list your nation, your Discord handle, and off you go. Then Nakari comes in and says "Hi, welcome to TSP! I see you have a new nation, have you played NationStates before or is this your first time?". Viet might ask "Do you have another nation that has World Assembly membership?", etc.

If the problem is that the form is too confusing, perhaps it needs clearer questions? The idea of having to drip-feed security questions seems like it will just slow everything down and restrain new people from actually experiencing the Assembly from the inside - which isn't a bad way to learn. 

Suggestion: In a legislator's first month, they are currently considered exempt from losing their legislator status, even if they don't vote or participate at all. Perhaps the exemption should only be given if they participate in some sort of university course, and they can be directed to this if they don't show any other activity? So at the end of the month Chair/LegComm would approach a member who hasn't voted and say "Hey, you haven't done anything in the Assembly - you should take a look at these guides or you might lose status."
[-] The following 3 users Like Nakari's post:
  • Poppy, Rebeltopia, Seraph

(02-28-2019, 07:18 AM)Nakari Wrote: ...

Suggestion: In a legislator's first month, they are currently considered exempt from losing their legislator status, even if they don't vote or participate at all. Perhaps the exemption should only be given if they participate in some sort of university course, and they can be directed to this if they don't show any other activity? So at the end of the month Chair/LegComm would approach a member who hasn't voted and say "Hey, you haven't done anything in the Assembly - you should take a look at these guides or you might lose status."

Oh, yes. I quite like this idea.

What would the syllabus be like?
[-] The following 2 users Like Amerion's post:
  • Poppy, The Sakhalinsk Empire

To kinda resurrect a dead thread and add a related topic to it...

We can also use the forum's form creator to create one form for all applications in any venue. I think that would be much easier for a newbie than having an app for leg, an app for military, an app for RA, etc.etc.etc.; So basically, you'd enter your main nation, WA nation, and have checkboxes to select what it is you're interested in. And in this multi-stage process, more relevant specific information can be asked by anybody responsible for those specific areas.

The advantages here should be obvious. Not only is it easier for the little nation to apply, it's also easier for most ministries. For example, right now military has a separate sign-up thread and we ask LegComm to security check the applicants. If we have unified signups with one committee (in some form or another) doing all of that, this step is not necessary anymore as it's a core component of any signup no matter where.

Definite support.

Non-existent prerequisite: A training course.
Chief Supervising Armchair

(09-01-2019, 06:26 AM)USoVietnam Wrote: Non-existent prerequisite: A training course.

For what specifically?

Would this involve imposing passing security checks as a requirement for MoRA involvement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(09-01-2019, 03:35 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: Would this involve imposing passing security checks as a requirement for MoRA involvement?

It might, I think that's something to debate. Obviously somebody that is already a Legislator and then signs up for MoRA through the same process isn't going to go through the same gamut of checks as before. Similarly, somebody that is a known quantity (a former Legislator) won't again. But maybe it's not the worst idea for first-time applicants to get a rudimentary check to at least see if they're not somebody we don't want in the region anyway (somebody proscribed with a spy account or such).

At first, I was leaning on opposing this idea, but I'm coming on to it. I've been a legislator for years, but there are still things that I don't know or understand. An introductory exam would be of great utility.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History