We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Discussion: Bicameral Legislature

I know this was discussed at length at the last GC.  However, I am one to occasionally want to beat a dead horse again.

I think we had a great idea with the Local Council and I truly believe that for the particular time that was the best we could do.  I'm not sold on the belief that the Local Council has actually accomplished what we intended for them to accomplish which is why I am bringing this up.

A Bicameral Legislature with one house being comprised of all citizens and residents (not sure how we would incorporate that).  The other house would be comprised of select members (meeting some type of requirement; possibly WA or activity or elected).

House 1 Powers:
Draft/Debate/Pass/Amend General Laws
Can pass Charter Amendments on to House 2 after voting (maybe have an override if House 2 does not pass amendment)
Draft/Debate/Pass/Repeal resolutions recommending action from House 2 (Treaty/War etc..)

House 2 Powers:
Declare War
Pass or Repeal Treaties
Approve Cabinet Appointments
Have authority to reverse citizenship denials

Just a really quick posting of what a system could look like.  I'll be honest and say that I am not even sure I fully support a bicameral legislature but the discussion should be interesting.

Messages In This Thread
Discussion: Bicameral Legislature - by Hileville - 10-18-2015, 09:26 PM