We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Some things I feel like should be said but...

(03-08-2016, 12:10 PM)sandaoguo Wrote: Tsu, we can't invite all of NS to TSP and expect NS to stay out of TSP. That's the crux of my argument. That's what I'm talking about when I say we can purge and be restrictive in who allow in (and be a peaceful and harmonic region), or we can be open and diverse (and experience political rivalry that sometimes is totally intractable).

I honestly think you're in the minority and have been for years. TSP politics has been entrenched in NS gameplay for a very long time. The old elite class were all Gameplayers, there just weren't fights because the region was homogenous. The current class of active politicians is also largely Gameplayers and people who have opinions on this stuff. It hasn't been the case that TSP has been separate from all of that for several years.

Sometimes it needs to be the case that somebody's opinion isn't incorporated, because sometimes two opinions are mutually exclusive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. I'm hardly in the minority -- we've just managed to drive everyone else out of the region. The idea is we are playing a totally different game than the nations on the RMB is one of the ways that's been managed. We didn't make a bigger tent by welcoming more people into the process, as I've long advocated for. Instead, we've made a bigger tent by opening the door to this constant game play fight.

Everyone's welcome but we need to make sure that the base of TSP -- meaning, this region and the members who live primarily here -- have a say in the process. When I've advocated as such, I've been told that I'm rejecting cosmopolitan ideas and excluding people who play in multiple regions -- but that's not the point. We can be welcoming to all and leave the drama at the door by having a large cross section of people who aren't involved in the game play dynamic.

When you systematically make the argument that the off-site forum has nothing to do with the in-game region and that the interregional politics is all there is to the game, you set up a constant dynamic where the region is push-and-pulled by outside forces. Further, you're setting up a dynamic that is obviously false.

We have one of, if not the lowest levels of WA participation. This is because we've ceased the idea of a community in TSP and instead discounted the majority of our member base. Further, when we have had newbies enter the region and government, we've driven them out by constant bickering and fighting (see: Serres).

We can have a strong, cosmopolitan community but that has to come with the realization that everything we do isn't within the game play sphere or game play dynamic. Until *that's* realized, we're going to keep having the major fault lines where we're constantly suspicious of each other.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some things I feel like should be said but... - by Tsunamy - 03-08-2016, 01:04 PM