We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

PASSED: Regional Communications Act

Now, on to the issue at hand Smile

I'm fond of Tsu's draft, though there are a few changes and additions I feel are necessary:
  • As part of this, we should include unified approval of mass-TGs. This is something Bel and I have discussed briefly on Discord, and I also know others feel this is a good idea. I suggest removing the language restricting the LC from the charter, and including in this act the appropriate rules which then applies to everybody (LC, MoRA, etc.)
  • The term 'limited' is very ambiguous here, and to be honest I'm not quite sure what Tsu meant by it. I assume it's supposed to mean that the region isn't spammed with mass-TGs. I changed it accordingly.
  • Removed the term 'trustworthy', as it's a subjective feeling of individuals that can't be legislated.
  • I changed article two to be a bit more inclusive so that it basically covers anybody who could mass-communicate, and moved it to article 1. 
  • In preparation for further NS changes, added a clause for other forms of mass communication not explicitly listed to be covered.
  • I removed "attempt to lower endorsements of elected officials" and replaced it with something more general. The intent, I presume, was to explicitly state that nothing should be done to threaten the security of the region. However, there are other things that could be done (such as encouraging endorsements for a would-be couper), and a call to lower endorsements for an official may be justified in certain instances (Delegate transitions, for example). 
  • Removed what could happen to somebody accused of an infraction, as it's up to the courts to decide. Instead, I added that the Delegate may suspend the powers for the duration of the court proceedings.
  • Finally, just various formatting and wording changes. I made sure to use "shall" to mean something that must be done and "may" to mean something that could be done.
Sorry that it looks like I took a chainsaw to it, Tsu :>

Regional Communications Act

An act clarifying proper communication by government officials

1. ScopeCommunications Covered by this Act

(1) Modes of mass communication covered include
a. Mass Telegrams to the region
b. Pinned Dispatches pinned to the regional World Factbook Entry
c. Changes to the regional World Factbook Entry
d. Any other form of communication visible by the in-game region at large separate from the Regional Message Board.

(2) Any individual capable of engaging in mass communication with the region as described above shall be subject to the regulations contained herein.

2. Government Officials

(1) All elected or appointed regional officials are covered by this act, whether they are using powers provided in the "Regional Officers Act" or received independently.

3. Appropriateness of Communication 2. Mass Communication

(1) Communications to the region should shall be
a. respectful
b. honest
c. trustworthy
d. limited

c. restrained to a reasonable frequency of notifications

(2) Communications to the region should shall not

a. mislead the public
b. push particular legislative agendas
c. attack or otherwise diminish other officials
d. attack or otherwise diminish The South Pacific or her allies
e. attempt to lower endorsements of elected officials
e. directly or indirectly threaten the security apparatus of the South Pacific or her allies

(3) The Delegate may, at their discretion, enact further restrictions, guidelines, or approval processes on the use mass communications.

(4) The Council on Regional Security may temporarily suspend the provisions contained herein for themselves or any duly chosen surrogates for purposes of regional security.

43. Infractions

(1) Charges regarding infractions to this act Infractions may be brought before the Permanent Justice in a court case. For the duration of the court proceedings, the Delegate may suspend the mass communication capabilities of the accused.

(2) Officials who are found to have violated this act may be subjected to
a. suspension or removal of regional officer privileges
b. suspension or removal from office

5. Suspension

(1) This act may be suspended with the consent of the Council for Regional Security.

As for the Charter amendment, Article V:

3. The Local Council will have the authority to run regional polls, create and pin Dispatches, and to suppress messages on the Regional Message Board according to a standard moderation policy. It may not alter the regional flag or tags, and may not send out mass telegrams, without the approval of the Delegate.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

Messages In This Thread
PASSED: Regional Communications Act - by Tsunamy - 08-12-2016, 11:03 PM
RE: Proposal: Regional Communications Act - by Roavin - 08-13-2016, 07:47 PM