We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

The United Cascade

The United Cascade
Insight on all United Kingdom affairs

Opinion: Nicole Chancellor and supposed controversy
Aaron Shaw, Right-wing commentator
Sunday, 21 August, 2016

Nicole Chancellor

STOCKHOLM, UNITED KINGDOM — Amid an intense special election campaign against Giovanni Giletti, Nicole Chancellor of The New Right introduced herself to international politics mid-August endorsing Biggot Ed Butte in the Resentinian parliamentary elections and trading shots with Ryccian Emperor Albert I, going as far as calling the latter an "a-hole." Despite drawing condemnations from many people across the world, Chancellor's controversial comments do not or should not come as a surprise to Qvaiticans in the United Kingdom. For years, Chancellor has prided herself for being a "straight shooter" with people and has shown no fear in engaging with people who have "taken the first shot," public or private. So, why are we up in arms now?

When Nicole Chancellor first ran for Governor of Algonquin in 2012, she did so competing against incumbent political heavyweight John Alexander, who was well-known in the country, having the prospects of being a national leader of Qvait. However, in a debate that was aired throughout the province, Chancellor would expose weaknesses in several pieces of legislation that Governor Alexander signed and claimed that he took advantage of his position to advance his own businesses at the expense of regular Algonquinians, saying, "The truth of the matter is, the Governor has been treating [Algonquinians] as if [they are] jackasses." In the Conservative primary election, Chancellor would defeat the incumbent Governor with 58% of the vote and go on to become the new Governor of Algonquin after a landslide in the general election.

Just last year in 2015, Chancellor hit the airwaves in a dogfight with Giovanni Giletti over the Conservative nomination for President of Qvait. Her actions in the 2012 gubernatorial campaign seemed minuscule compared to what she had done in the 2015 presidential campaign. Chancellor used many derisive words and phrases to describe Giletti and had painted him as a "conservative who only [looked] out for his rich donors and not the everyday Qvaitican." In the primary election, Chancellor would defeat Giletti in one of the closest elections in Qvaitican history. However, she would be defeated in a landslide against Margaret Harrison in the general election.

Giovanni Giletti | Margaret Harrison

Despite a landslide defeat in the general election against Margaret Harrison, the unification of Qvait and Winston Island changed the electoral rules and made it easier for people such as Nicole Chancellor to have a voice in national politics. The House of Country, which makes the Parliament a tricameral legislature, takes the people's party preferences into account. The same electoral rules also allow for a schism of political parties in the House of Country provided that a majority of party members in the House of Districts vote to do so, such as that of the Conservative Party, which is guaranteed a loss of seats on 6 September to The New Right, a political party that will be led by Nicole Chancellor. Even though The New Right will only be allocated Conservative seats proportional to the vote on 6 September, it will put Nicole Chancellor one step closer to the Chancellorship that is currently held by Margaret Harrison of the Labor Party.

While there are many that do not appreciate Chancellor's harsh rhetoric, half of the current members of the Conservative Party do, and they plan to defect from the Conservative Party to become members of Chancellor's New Right. The most damage that these supporters can do to the Conservative Party is make Chancellor the Leader of the Opposition, a position that is currently held by Giovanni Giletti. At this time, polls indicate that Scott Walters of the Libertarian Party may become the Leader of the Opposition due to having more seats than the Conservative Party and The New Right. However, if the voters manage to secure at least eleven seats from the Conservative Party, which currently holds eighteen seats, that would make Chancellor the Co-Leader of the Opposition with Walters, and it would put her in a position of tremendous power against her rival, Giletti.

I have had the luxury of knowing Chancellor personally, and she is a down-to-earth kind of person. When asked of why she does what she does in politics, she said, "I was raised in a harsh neighborhood, living under abusive and violent conditions, and my family had often times been deceived and lied to by rich [effs] trying to benefit from my family's misfortunes. And so, one day, I decided to get into politics to change that. I didn't go to Stockholm to be a fake politician sold out by rich donors, I went there to make real change for my country, and I did it without changing who I was as a human being. I'm criticized for cussing, but everyone does it. Somehow, I'm the bad girl and my opponents are clean. Well screw that. People often criticize me for what I say, but I say what is truthful and legit. I don't shape myself to be elected, I am elected based on my original thoughts. If there are people who don't like what I say, then don't, but don't alienate the people who do like what I say."

On 9 August, Chancellor asked people at a campaign rally in Brooklyn, "Remember when our country was great? That was when we didn't take orders from an organization halfway across the world. We lost our Empire and we lost our sovereignty." One day later, she said that Margaret Harrison and Giovanni Giletti were "a pair of [whores] who sold out the Empire." Despite her occasional vulgarity, disparaging remarks of her political opponents, and the bad reputation that the media often gives her for that, Chancellor is unyielding in her rhetoric and unapologetic. At a campaign rally in Austinboro on 11 August, Chancellor said, "My opponents and the media like to chastise me for things that I say and call for my apology. Well, they're not getting one. I mean what I say and I'm not going to conform to what they want me to be. This is who I am, and when elected, this is who I'm always going to be. Take it or leave it."

Want to keep up with Election Day? Click here. Have a comment?

Copyright 2013–2016. United Kingdom Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

Messages In This Thread
The United Cascade - by Jay Coop - 03-31-2014, 09:04 PM
RE: The Qvaitican Cascade - by Jay Coop - 05-29-2016, 02:15 AM
Opinion: Nicole Chancellor and supposed controversy - by Jay Coop - 08-20-2016, 07:50 PM