We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

PASSED: Regional Communications Act

Quote:Hey everyone!
The first piece of Assembly legislation since the most recent set of Local Council elections has come up to vote, and in accordance with the campaign promises and the expressed will of the region we're conducting a poll of Native WA members to decide how the Local Council block vote will be cast. The poll is restricted to WA members so that people can only vote once, so if you want to take part but currently can't vote you'll need to join the WA with a nation in TSP.
This is a relatively simple matter - the re-adoption of an existing piece of legislation that we forgot to renew at the Great Council held earlier this year - so I won't be providing any voting advice or information to help you make a decision, merely recommending that you for Aye to allow our judicial system to return to functionality.
The link to the poll is as follows; region=the_south_pacific#pollid_64592
Once we have the results of the poll, I will instruct the Chair of the Assembly to lodge the block vote in a proportional manner based on its results.
Yours,
Belschaft
Local Council Representative to the Assembly
Here is the first Telegram you sent. Bold and Underlined emphasis is mine.
Quote:Greetings!
There's another piece of legilsation at vote in TSP's legislature - the Assembly - so once again I am conducting a poll of Native WA members to decide how the Local Council block vote will be cast. The poll is restricted to WA members so that people can only vote once, so if you want to take part but currently can't vote you'll need to join the WA with a nation in TSP.
For those of you who aren't aware of the specifics, and don't want to read through the debate that is linked to in the poll, here's a brief summary;
The Assembly serves as the legislature for TSP, proposing, debating and voting on our laws, as well as electing the executive government and choosing the candidates for the Delegacy that regional WA members vote on. Membership of the Assembly is also required to hold various regional offices, both elected and appointed. It's very much the central political organ of TSP, and without it our government couldn't function.
Considering it's importance, we have certain activity requirements for people to maintain membership in the Assembly, which we call Legislator status. At present the membership requirement is that Legislators, unless on leave of absence, cannot miss two consecutive votes which start on different days - I, and many others, felt that this requirement was too strict, which is why we have introduced the legislation at vote. The current requirement means that you could lose Legislator status in as little as four days - the shortest Assembly votes lasting three days.
Should the proposed legislation be adopted, this will change to missing three non-concurrent votes - ones which do not overlap, and occur entirely on different days. This increases the minimum time period in which you can lose Legislator status to nine days, which I feel is a far more reasonable length. It is quite possible that people could be absent for four days without notice, for reasons such as ill health, and I do not believe that they should be penalised for this.
The link to the poll is as follows; page=poll/p=64943
Once we have the results of the poll, I will instruct the Chair of the Assembly to lodge the block vote in a proportional manner based on its results.
I'd also like to take this opportunity to report the passing of the most recent piece of Assembly legislation, the Re-adoption of the Judiciary Act, by 97% to 3% in the Assembly - in line with the vote of regional WA members, which was 132 Aye votes to 2 Nay votes, with 8 abstentions, a margin of 99% in favour of re-adoption. Over 140 regional WA members voted, making TSP by far the region with the highest level of political participation in NS. I don't want to spam you guys with TG's too often, so I'm not planning on reporting on the passage of assembly legislation in separate TG's, but will report it whenever possible at the end of these ones.
Yours,
Belschaft
Local Council Representative to the Assembly

Here is the second Telegram you sent. Bold and Underlined emphasis is mine.

In both instances, you either directly stated which way you felt people should vote or included your personal opinion heavily. 
I know this doesn't need repeating, but I thought it should be pointed out again.
Semi-Unretired

Messages In This Thread
PASSED: Regional Communications Act - by Tsunamy - 08-12-2016, 11:03 PM
RE: Proposal: Regional Communications Act - by Drugged Monkeys - 08-18-2016, 02:15 PM