We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

I want to be the delegate and here is why

(01-02-2018, 10:28 PM)Roavin Wrote: I really, really don't want to come off as rude or condescending or any of that - that's not my intent at all. So please keep that in mind as you read on.

The Delegacy in a founderless region such as the South Pacific is the position of power gameside. If it slips into the wrong hands, be it by force or by accident, that can spell game-over for the Coalition of the South Pacific, as having to get a Delegacy back from somebody that doesn't want to hand it back over, especially in a region with a large amount of endorsements such as ours, is incredibly hard.

So when you say that experience or qualifications aren't required for being Delegate, then you may technically be correct de jure, but de facto, the office of the Delegate brings with it quite a few prerequisites that voters look out for, with good reason. The Delegate must be unambiguously trusted to uphold the Coalition, trusted to do the necessary work to stay Delegate for as long as legally mandated (by endorsement swapping and other means), to cast the one vote that the entire region gets for a World Assembly resolution in the interest of the region, be comfortable with regional controls, and knowledgable of extant law so that they know what not to do with those regional controls they have at their disposal.

If you look back at Delegates and Delegate candidates that made it to game-side voting within the last two years, you will find that they were all individuals with significant buy-in with the region and experienced in other areas of our government. Our past two Delegates, Drugged Monkeys and Tsunamy, are both nations with incredible records of service to the region — in fact, Tsunamy's work back in 2003 (!) is a key reason why the Coalition still stands today as the oldest extant democracy in NationStates!

You're new. That means South Pacifican just don't yet know if you will stick around, stay with TSP, and serve as best as you can in the region's interests. That's not meant to be an insult at all, and you may demonstrate all those things with time, but you haven't been here long enough yet to even be able to demonstrate that. If somebody you've just met approaches you and asks you if they can drive your car, you wouldn't hand them the car keys either.

Now, that being said, that doesn't mean there aren't opportunities to get involved and, in fact, rise quickly. I'm a great example of that - it took just over two months for me to join NationStates, get involved in TSP, and get elected to a Cabinet position. Fresh eyes and fresh viewpoints are always welcome (and being sought) in the various departments. The Delegacy isn't necessarily one to rise quickly to, simply because it is that important and critical to our stability.

Ultimately voters can vote for who they like for Delegate and by declaring my intent to run as a candidate it signifies my intent to be involved in this region. Yes the Delegacy is an important position and it is high time it goes to someone who is new and can bring a fresh perspective to things rather than a same old same old tired approach.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I want to be the delegate and here is why - by Taoiseach - 01-02-2018, 10:30 PM