We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Amendment to the Political Parties Act

(01-24-2018, 06:58 PM)Omega Wrote: Quite frankly if a party's membership is active the members will go to the sub forum no matter where it is. If a party is good at recruitment it shouldn't need to have its subfoum top level. The way I see it, a healthy party should be just fine under the proposed changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's see how APC likes it when their forums are effectively hidden from the index *shrugs*

Party subforums are status symbols at best. They're barely used for any real organizing, and APCRC internal elections don't count. If the admins decided last week to take them off the index, there would've been a ton of complaints. If APC's forums get pushed below the fold, I can easily see the Assembly pushing a bill exempting parties based on their size. Because again, they're status symbols more than they're actually organizing platforms.

I was never a fan of the Political Parties Act or the McCarthyism that brought it about. I wrote it to stave off something worse. That being said, if we're going to all but force parties to have forums here, then hiding them under the fold isn't a great idea. It's kinda sending mixed signals-- we want party forums here on TSP's forum, but don't want to see them?

My comment about this new party, the Island Democratic Party, was that half the members weren't even forum users. It's an RMB party. That they even requested a subforum goes to show that it's all just a status symbol. And as long as subforums are treated as status symbols, it's not really fair imo to push them further down just because more people want them.

I have no clue what Tsu or Kris has to say on this topic. But I don't think I'll be supporting throwing parties under the fold.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [DRAFT] Amendment to the Political Parties Act - by sandaoguo - 01-24-2018, 09:33 PM