We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Amendment to Citizenship Removals 1.2.7 of the Charter

(06-22-2014, 01:58 PM)Sandaoguo Wrote: 1. Yes, we can do that, and I've suggested it before, but not under the misguided idea that it would increase community growth or participation. Sending out 4300 ballots and having a lot of responses is not a good measure of growth or participation. I think it's fair to assume that most of us don't want people to show up just to vote. We want engagement, not raw numbers. At the end of the day, no matter what system we use for voting, citizenship will be required, and acquiring citizenship requires being a member of the forum community. That is the case in TNP as well. They just have a different name for citizens.

Getting the vote out to citizens is the only to ensure candidates focus their campaigns not only on the forum community, but the entire region - which is ultimately good for TSP's democracy.

Quote:2. Go ahead and start "Folk Assemblies." Nobody is stopping people on the RMB from discussing regional issues. I imagine, though, that they don't really care and won't really see the point, and the discussions would probably be unorganized and largely useless to the Assembly.

Fantastic outlook.

Quote:3. We've used regional polls, as well. Our FIFA team has been decided by regional poll. We could decide the RMB posting thing through regional poll. But when it comes to things like Charter amendments, new treaties, declarations of war, etc., I don't think the regional poll is an appropriate mechanism for those decisions, and neither does any other GCR.

I'm suggesting plebiscites, not binding referenda. If we're going to argue everything is inappropriate for polls, maybe we should also just separate the forum community entirely from the region. We could have two forums - one for the region and one for your ego.

Quote:5. While that all sounds nice for game-side people, I don't see what connection those have to forum communities. How has any of that stuff 'bridged the gap'? As far as I'm aware, The Pacific, TEP, TNP, and TRR are not exceptionally different from TSP when it comes to how we've organized the on-site and off-site communities.

The South Pacific is one of the worst offenders of focusing almost all government activity on the forum. This creates a situation where the in-game community is in need of organization, activities and leadership, while the forum community is over-administrated, a political bee-hive and a miserable snakepit altogether.

Messages In This Thread