We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[FAILED] Repeal of the Political Parties Act

(07-17-2019, 02:48 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: There's a lot of statutes that don't get used often; that doesn't mean we should get rid of them.

I generally agree with Tsu here.

Although there is cultural reticence towards this act. This is not in itself reason to remove it.

(07-16-2019, 09:19 AM)Tsunamy Wrote: I fully disagree with this. As I've never been a supporter or political parties the goal of this act was to make a policy in order to make sure any political parties were treated fairly and, additionally, not be taking activity offsite.

Repealing something like this is tossing the responsibility of forum creation (and determination of who should have one) back to the admins, which is unacceptable.

(07-17-2019, 09:06 PM)Amerion Wrote: I don't believe laws once written should remain on the books for eternity. Having reviewed the MATT-DUCK archive, I believe it is only the Political Parties Act which has no relevant function; an argument can perhaps be made for the Holidays Act but in that case, it is more so cultural than political.

I'm okay with reviews of the legislation and the removal of unnecessary, duplicate or outdated laws.l (e.g. due to technological advancement). However, this law in itself is none of those.

This is because, I consider at present,

1. Without the law, there is no ability under the Charter or any other legislation to for a right to political assembly, which may lead to questions as to the validity of such groupings.
2. Whilst I would acknowledge, in relation to one above, assembly is a right of citizens: there could be cause to argue that any 'political' grouping, is an attempt to subvert the coalition without the above law. There is no other legislation or procedure available to allow for like minded individuals to group, as far as I can see.
3. This would therefore require the Court to determine which groupings were legitimate political groupings and those which were working as internal dissidents, which as far as I can tell from ORCS hasn't been judged before.
4. Given the judicial act limits the ability of the Court to only look at the powers within its control, the lack of legislation, if the act were repealed, therefore places additional unchecked powers in the hands of the few in relation to legitimate groupings and what is acceptable. (Obviously illegitimate groupings would be illegitimate). Thereby potentially leading to the an imbalance of power which could be difficult to properly rectify.
5. There appears to be no other mechanism to allow the charters right of (general) assembly for groups of individuals to gather in one place within the forums - I.e. through the creation of pages/threads or areas for discussion.

At the moment, the selfishness of Adrimal General chair is the most convincing argument I've seen and again, and whilst I could be all for allowing our chair to repeal on compassionate grounds, that in itself isn't a reason for repeal - in my eyes.

Perhaps, we should leave it as is, it may become pertinent in the future.

Finally...
The holidays act is actually a useful tool for MORA and in recognition of important events. That one should be kept Love
[-] The following 2 users Like Beepee's post:
  • Amerion, Poppy

Messages In This Thread
RE: [DEBATING] Repeal of the Political Parties Act - by Beepee - 07-17-2019, 11:33 PM