We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

A Memory of Starlight [IC]

As the streets climbed higher, so Nefunuku appeared both more prosperous and more advanced. Wood and copper and unadorned stone gave way to carvings and brass and then to more expensive stonework and precious metals. Human artistry, honed for thousands of years on stone and flesh was here displayed in a decadent profusion of silver and gold. Even the pipework that powered the city's luxuries was polished and intricately carved. To Laki's provincial eyes it was more than could be taken in, but the more he saw the more convinced he was that it was all just distraction and he forced himself to look away and focus, instead on the crest of the hill. There, already, he could see the towering tiers of the temple rising skywards, it's strange, recarved moai lining each level, all feathers and claws.

Around him, the life of the city continued. An Alfr merchant was selling skrimshander charms, whilst a diminutive Lucharachán rearranged the books in front of her dimly-lit shop. Laki had never met any of the other races before leaving his island home and though he had encountered quite a few on his journey since, had even travelled with a Drakon for a while, their different features and strange ways still caused him to stare, more often than not. Of course, in so cosmopolitan a place as Nefunuku, Laki's bare chest and leather trunks, though not uncommon, were still attracting a fair bit of attention, themselves.

You must be from the sticks, said a gleaming-eyed Lucharachán coming up beside him. I suspect the hustle and bustle of the big city must be a bit dazzling, no?

Laki didn't deign to respond, but the little Lucharachán didn't seem to take this for discouragement.

What you need is a guide and it just so happens that I, Finan Ua'Brien, am the best guide to the mysteries and wonders of Nefunuku that you'll ever find.

Laki paused and looked down.

What do you know of the Takele?

The who?

The Ancients.

Ah, the Daoine Ársa, the Old People - I can show you all the best places to see the ruins, can even take you into the sewers to where the remains of one of their bower temples can still-

I didn't come here to sightsee! I need information, not spectacle.

Finan scratched his scraggly little beard in thought and Laki shook his head, ready to continue his march uphill, but then the dwarf's expression opened into a massive smile.

Oh, I know where you need to see, alright and I can take you right to her, but it'll cost you!

How much? Laki asked, sceptically.

Fifty Rai.

But that's...! That's most of what I have left!

Take it or leave it, but you won't find Nefunuku's best expert on the Old People without my help. She's not an easy lady to find - or to get a meeting with.

Laki glanced up the hill at the busy, smoky streets and the heathen temple beyond and wondered just how easy it would be to find someone who could help him. He wasn't sure he trusted anyone too close to the temple, after all.

Shaking his head, he reached into the leather money pouch at his waist and pulled out several donut-shaped pieces of carved calcite.

Will this do?

Perfectly, my boy, Finan replied with the gleam in his eye once more, That'll do just perfectly.
[-] The following 3 users Like Seraph's post:
  • Nakari, phoenixofthesun14, rosaferri

Messages In This Thread
A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Seraph - 04-24-2020, 03:23 PM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Nakari - 04-25-2020, 11:56 AM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by rosaferri - 04-26-2020, 01:04 AM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Seraph - 04-26-2020, 10:51 AM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Nakari - 04-27-2020, 01:30 PM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by rosaferri - 04-27-2020, 01:50 PM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Seraph - 04-28-2020, 07:35 AM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Seraph - 04-30-2020, 10:18 AM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Nakari - 04-30-2020, 01:26 PM