We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

A Memory of Starlight [IC]

When Hane had entered the room it had all seemed so calm. Au Tahuna had looked at them with eyes far too knowing for how young her body looked. For the first time in a while Hane felt actually seen and the feeling froze them, like they were physically pinned to the wall. Many feelings seemed to do that to them, these days. They weren't sure what they were expecting, or even hoping for. The young man outside had acted like something of some importance was happening, and their heart hadn't been sure whether to flutter or stop, but here in the air soaked through with incense, and the young girl staring, it felt like Hane had stepped right through myth and into a childish fairytale. They ran their hands across each other to check they were real.

Before they could explain why they had come, Au Tahuna had offered tea, freshly made, and Hane relaxed a little as they took a single sip. It tasted... like the scent of chrysanthemums, like the best tea back home, the tea Hane had shared with Taka the first time they met, under the shade of the maples... They eyed Au Tahuna suspiciously. Thank you for the tea.

Yes, I thought you might like it. Do relax while we wait.

I didn't know we were waiting, Hane managed hesitantly.

You are well aware that you have been waiting all your life. You did not know you were waiting for this, perhaps.

Someone told me you know about the Tangata, they battled on.

Her eyes were like the reflections on a pool. That isn’t why you are here, though. You were brave to come, despite everything.

A chill came over Hane. They took another sip, but before they could swallow -

A noise from outside, like Mukutori's mop falling over but heavy enough that Hane thought they could feel it in the ground, and a female voice. Au Tahuna sighed.

It was the young man from outside who had fallen. A woman, just a little shorter than Hane but far more energetic in her every movement, came in with him, and while he lay stretched out on the floor, Au Tahuna was taking that woman under her precocious eye and rolling her around like a marble under her hand. And still it felt like they were waiting.

Until the man woke. Then it seemed to all happen very quickly. The talk of destiny, like the man had said outside. They felt like they should feel more terrified than they were. The talk of cults, family, belonging to a purpose. No, they were almost jealous of the girl. But then again, they could empathise in pushing away from what they had been raised for. Perhaps Au Tahuna would have been happy if she had grown up making noodles and gears, and perhaps Hane would have been happy if they had been raised for some occult purpose.

But here was an occult purpose, being handed right to them.

A little stone like a lump of coal, with the harsh black bird. Their fingers found their feathers instinctively, as it melted away like a shadow under sun.

Hane stood. Would anyone like more tea? They did not wait for an answer before taking the man’s bowl and refilling it. The tea was getting cold. They poured more tea in their own bowl, too, and sipped. Their hands were shaking.

You were wrong - what you said outside, they said with a thin smile, gesturing at the man. Everything makes much less sense now.

He took the bowl and stared into the surface of the tea. Atua knows what she thinks we’re meant to be doing. Or why us.

I guess we look out for the others, now. Hane noticed now that her eyes were pink. It slightly unnerved them. As if the woman was feverish with excitement.

And how are we meant to find them?

I work in a noodle shop. I will be sure to look out for customers who seem particularly mystical, Hane said flatly. They were sure Mukutori would be delighted to hear that Hane had a new excuse to not go back home.

I don’t see anything that makes us special, though. I guess you two are foreign but I’ve always lived here, so it can’t be anything like that. Um, been to any temples, seen anything… odd… recently?

No.

Just the bird thing a moment ago. They knew what he meant, logically, but still it stung a little. He must have noticed Hane flinch - uh, not you! Au Tahuna.

If they were meant to be involved in these people’s lives, it would perhaps be better to come out with it now. It hadn’t become easier yet. I realise, yes. As ever, they struggled for a suitable transition, breathed deep, toyed with feathers. Bird thing - I - too many people have called me similar before. Please call me Hane Kujaku, and they, rather than she or he. I apologize if that is… confusing. As always they felt the need to justify, weakly - It not uncommon among the Lucharachain. I hear, at least.
[-] The following 4 users Like Nakari's post:
  • Imperial Frost Federation, phoenixofthesun14, Seraph, TheBig0tt0

Messages In This Thread
A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Seraph - 04-24-2020, 03:23 PM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Nakari - 04-25-2020, 11:56 AM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by rosaferri - 04-26-2020, 01:04 AM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Seraph - 04-26-2020, 10:51 AM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Nakari - 04-27-2020, 01:30 PM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by rosaferri - 04-27-2020, 01:50 PM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Seraph - 04-28-2020, 07:35 AM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Seraph - 04-30-2020, 10:18 AM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Nakari - 04-30-2020, 01:26 PM