We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

A Memory of Starlight [IC]

Laki realised that he should follow the Tengu's lead: introductions were in order. Still, he felt the need to cautious. He wasn't entirely sure why he had lied in response to the engineer's question, but something had told him to hold back a little, not to remind them that it had been he who had found the Tangata idol, nevermind how, or where, or what came afterwards.

Of course, Hane Kujaku... may I call you Hane for short?

The Tengu nodded gently.

My name is Laki. I'm from Inoa, one of the smaller islands west of the metropolises. I farm shellfish on the abyssal slopes there and... well I came here out of curiosity, he added quickly, just like you, Hane!

Well, my name's Vannah. I'm an engineer... an inventor of sorts. I live here but... I guess you could say something lead me here.

Laki nodded. Something about the way the young woman spoke told him that she wasn't being entirely honest, either, but he certainly couldn't complain on that account.

So, I guess we need to investigate this cult, then...

He tried to sound more confident than he felt.

It's hard to know where to begin. Nefunuku is so big.

Well, Au Tahuna said that they seemed to keep their control and influence to the crown of the hill, perhaps we should head there.

Perhaps. It is getting dark, though.

Yeah. I didn't mean to be out this late.

Laki nodded.

Yes, perhaps we should get some rest tonight, think it all over a bit and meet at the crossroads here tomorrow morning?

I can't make any promises but...

I wish to see where this all leads, the Tengu said, If destiny does indeed call, I would like to answer it.

Shall we say the second hour after sunrise?

The night sky was opening up above him as Laki made his way down the hill towards his lodgings. An ocean of stars, each like a little island in the sky. Somewhere up there was the world from which the Atua came and between, the dark stretches of night filled with tooth and tail and the ripples of worse to come.
Watching it, remembering the stories of the Atua's journey to Henua, he couldn't help but wonder what other great unknowns there were lurking in the deep waters of the sky and he didn't know how he felt about that. He did not know how he felt about anything.

Au Tahuna's words had been overwhelming and, when combined with what he had experienced back on Inoa, terrifying. Though part of him still wanted to attribute it all to coincidence, if a mere idol could be capable of the death and destruction he had seen in his home, what could it mean for Henua if the cult really could bring the Tangata back? And were they there now, somewhere in the vast darkness between the stars, watching and waiting?

Laki shuddered, then froze. What had started as a chil running down his spine was now suddenly the cold hard point of a blade in his back.

Don't move a muscle, boy, came a gruff voice from behind, or I'll bone you like a carp before you can even scream. The knife point pressed just a little harder, to drive the point home, as it were.

I... I... I don't-

Quit your stammering, boy. I've seen the money pouch on your waste. Untie it and drop it to the floor. Now, the voice added when Laki didn't move immediately.

Quickly, Laki fumbled for the strings of his leather coin pouch and let them slide free so the pouch fell to the stones of the street with a pebbly thud.

Excellent, the voice said, though it's tone was cruel and the knife point hadn't been drawn away. There was a moment's sielnce, then Laki saw a gnarled hand reach out from behind his legs and snatch the pouch away. I'm going to take my knife away now, but you'd better not move or turn around or it will be sliding down your spine and popping the bones out one by one, do you understand?

Y...yes!

Good! The blade withdrew and Laki stood there, still frozen for several minutes, waiting for something horrible to happen. Eventually, when the cool night air began to dimple his flesh he drew his arms in to cover his chest and, cautiously, looked around. He was alone in the street. Alone, and without a single rai to his name.

I won't be able to pay the landlady the rest of my bill for the lodgings! he realised. Shit! he said out loud, remembering just how greedy the woman had looked when he had handed her his deposit. It didn't seem likely that she would be generous to those who couldn't pay what was due. Shit!

It was obvious that the streets weren't safe at night and he didn't know a single soul in the city. Where was he going to shelter now?

And then he remembered that Hane had said they worked at a noodle shop. It might even still be open - if he could find such a place. But there could be dozens on the hill alone, never mind if they worked further away. His heart sank.

Oh mighty Atua, he prayed,help me find a way out of this mess!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Seraph's post:
  • phoenixofthesun14

Messages In This Thread
A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Seraph - 04-24-2020, 03:23 PM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Nakari - 04-25-2020, 11:56 AM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by rosaferri - 04-26-2020, 01:04 AM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Seraph - 04-26-2020, 10:51 AM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Nakari - 04-27-2020, 01:30 PM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by rosaferri - 04-27-2020, 01:50 PM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Seraph - 04-28-2020, 07:35 AM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Seraph - 04-30-2020, 10:18 AM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Nakari - 04-30-2020, 01:26 PM