We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DISCUSSION] Voting bloc(s) in the World Assembly

I might as well start a formal thread on this topic, given that we have discussed this issue on multiple occasions on several private channels on TSP's Discord servers, which is our future in the World Assembly. As it currently stands, there appears to be only one major voting bloc in the WA and that is the World Assembly Legislative League (WALL) between Balder, Europe, Europeia, the IDU, and TNP.

So, here's my opinion on the matter. I think that we should form our own bloc in the WA, but not as broad as the WALL. We should form two blocs in the WA — one that is General Assembly-oriented and another that is Security Council-oriented. I don't know if we're ready to discuss the GA yet, but I think many of us would agree that a defender bloc in the SC would be beneficial to TSP.

Here is a list of potential regions that we could form a defender bloc with:
  • The Rejected Realms (embassy and treaty)
  • 10000 Islands (embassy and treaty)
  • Union of Democratic States (embassy and treaty)
  • Free Nations Region (consulate but no treaty)
  • Wintreath (embassy but no treaty)
  • Sonindia (no embassy and no treaty)
  • Spiritus (embassy and treaty)
Crunching the numbers, a theoretical defender bloc consisting of the listed regions above and including our region would have at least as much or greater voting power than the WALL in the Security Council, which would make such a bloc immensely powerful and send a powerful message in R/D. A defender bloc with TSP at the helm would also give our region a lot of sway and influence.

I think it would be in the best interest of TSP to pursue an agenda of forming a defender bloc in the SC.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

Messages In This Thread
[DISCUSSION] Voting bloc(s) in the World Assembly - by Jay Coop - 05-19-2020, 11:49 PM