We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Revisions to the Transition Process of the Delegacy

(03-28-2021, 02:03 PM)sandaoguo Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 08:18 PM)Somyrion Wrote: I think we're mixing up terminology a bit here. I find myself repeatedly emphasizing a fact that (understandably) does not seem to have sunk in for most South Pacificans: the Delegate election already occurs a few months before the start of the new Delegate's official term.

I'm going to put my foot down here and disagree with this, because it's not how our system worked since the start of this incarnation of the Charter. This is a change that happened on June 2020, so it's only been in place for 2 elections. That's not a set-in-stone precedent. There's a real disconnect with electing a Delegate and that person not being Delegate until months later. That's why people have pointed it out and taken issue, despite the Elections Act amendment from June 2020. I voted for the change, but even still I think we tried and I've changed my mind on the wisdom of it.

I take issue with treating this as normal, because it's banking on us never getting the transition process right. It's relying on transitions always taking a long time. It's only because of an inefficient process that "the Delegate election already occurs a few months before the start of the new Delegate's official term." If we're better at this process this July, then Beepee's term will be shorter than Amerion's, so on and so on. That's not a sound way to do things.

So, few things.

1) I don't think the change from June 2020 was all that different than what was written into the Charter before that. (For reference: https://tspforums.xyz/thread-8261.html)

2) I read Somy's post as more of a statement of what is rather than a defense of how it should be. And, practically speaking, how was the previous change any different than anything that happened before? (Frankly, I forgot we even made this change, but unless there's something I'm missing it just reworded our previous practice in more verbose terms.)

3) I think it's totally appropriate for the length of delegate terms to vary by a few days. But, we we're discussing the length of scheduled terms varying by months, that's a totally different story. 

I feel like I made the argument then and I'll make the argument now, that I don't think we want to get into a setup where we make sure every delegate has served for 182 days. But, yes, it's untenable to assume that every transition is going to take two months and would almost automatically led to a regional crisis.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tsunamy's post:
  • Somyrion

Messages In This Thread
RE: Revisions to the Transition Process of the Delegacy - by Tsunamy - 03-28-2021, 05:40 PM