We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Revisions to the Transition Process of the Delegacy

(04-01-2021, 07:13 PM)sandaoguo Wrote:
(03-28-2021, 05:40 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: 1) I don't think the change from June 2020 was all that different than what was written into the Charter before that. (For reference: https://tspforums.xyz/thread-8261.html)
It was a significant change. Prior to June 2020, the winner of the election had all the rights and responsibilities of being Delegate, and the person occupying the Delegate seat was basically a "pass-thru" for anything involving the regional controls. Post amendment, the Delegate-elect has no authority and the outgoing Delegate remains the legal officeholder. That's the basis of the idea that the transition delays don't matter, because the "term" for the Delegate-elect will eventually equal out because of delays in the next transition. Under the old system, the terms were fixed and the outgoing Delegate had no actual authority because they didn't hold the legal office. So regardless of how long the transition took, the legal Delegate would always have a July-January (or vice-versa) term.
(03-28-2021, 05:40 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: 2) I read Somy's post as more of a statement of what is rather than a defense of how it should be. And, practically speaking, how was the previous change any different than anything that happened before? (Frankly, I forgot we even made this change, but unless there's something I'm missing it just reworded our previous practice in more verbose terms.)
Continuing from above... The change is that now the Delegate-elect isn't the legal Delegate until they actually take the physical seat. They have zero authority, versus before when they had all the legal authorities of the office. The Delegate-elect doesn't become Delegate until months later. They're doing nothing but gathering endos, because that's all they're legally allowed to do.

I think that creates an obvious disconnect in people's mind. "We got excited about electing this person... what's going on? Why aren't they Delegate? What happened to all the campaign promises and ideas?"

Reading the debate thread from when the June 2020 amendment was passed... I'm not really sure how we even arrived at our current system. Because the start of the debate was more about changing endo caps and requiring certain numbers of endorsements. Then it just became "the only thing the Delegate-elect does is endotart." So the changes we made didn't actually do anything to address the problems with transitions. I think we should completely reverse those changes, to be honest.

Fair fair. I suppose I assumed the outgoing delegate was still essentially giving everything over to the new delegate and the change was more of a legalistic matter regarding in-game designation.

Otherwise, yes, totally agree that we should go back to the old system. 

And, I wonder if this change actually inadvertently made the transition longer and if Beepee had more authority/public facing activity he would've gathered endorsements more quickly.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Revisions to the Transition Process of the Delegacy - by Tsunamy - 04-02-2021, 08:47 AM