We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DISCUSSION] Legislator applications

(04-14-2021, 05:15 AM)Aglet Green Wrote: I understand some of the people here are worried about 'bad actors' and 'security concerns,' but I just see lots of roleplay fluff on these forums; nothing that Max Barry or his in-game moderators would know or care about, so I don't see what people are so afraid of.  

The roleplay stuff is public, so being a legislator or not doesn't affect your access to those forums. What I think people would be more concerned about than access to public forums are bad actors 1) getting access to private legislator areas, where potentially sensitive discussions may occur (#legislators-lounge and the private Assembly subforum), though generally the discussions are not that sensitive, 2) being able to run in elections/get appointed to certain positions, which could allow them to get access to much more sensitive information (including interregional diplomatic discussions, intelligence on other regions, etc.) and have a big influence on how the region is run, and 3) importing votes (getting lots of people to sign up to be a legislator to vote a certain way and influence elections in bad faith, often to elect a bad actor). We also have a number of proscribed players whom we would not want to give legislatorship to (due to their history of actions detrimental to our government) (of course they shouldn't be in our region in the first place, but it's often hard to tell who an on-site puppet belongs to using on-site info alone if they try to obscure it), and we wouldn't want anyone to be a legislator under more than one identity at a time. Nor would we want any OOC blacklisted players. So, it's pretty important that the Legislator Committee thoroughly vet any potential applicants. There are probably more things to consider that I'm not aware of even!

Offsite stuff isn't government by onsite rules or moderators at all (which can be a bit of an issue when it comes to fascist regions but that's besides the point). Since onsite moderation has no effect on offsite forums, I'm not really sure what you mean by your statement regarding in-game moderators?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Purple Hyacinth's post:
  • Witchcraft and Sorcery

Messages In This Thread
RE: [DISCUSSION] Legislator applications - by Purple Hyacinth - 04-14-2021, 06:50 AM