We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Removing Restriction on Offices Held in Other Regions

Finally, I'm at my computer again! Been wanting to catch up on this thread all day... Smile
(05-20-2021, 02:16 AM)Altmoras Wrote: Hence why I'd like to see the law strengthened to something similar to this at minimum.
Quote:(5) No person holding a Cabinet office or the office of the Delegate may hold authority over any equivalent office in a foreign region or organisation.
I would support this entirely, or something worded differently but to the same effect.

(05-20-2021, 05:01 PM)HumanSanity Wrote: Personally, think that's a great compromise and/or additional proposal. A slightly different question, but asking that a region you're a leader of be your primary region shouldn't be too much to ask.
Yeah, I concur on this. I'd love to see a proposal that requires WA membership or SPSF Tsunami Force (maybe Tidal, but I'm leaning Tsunami) for high offices. Defining that on the spot, I support it for the Local Council and Cabinet (Delegacy and CRS already require WA, so that would be a moot addition). 
(05-20-2021, 05:01 PM)HumanSanity Wrote: This is going to be a ramble, but I think you underestimate the potential for conflicts of interest. Consider, for example, that our MoFA was MoC in Europeia. Europeia might host a cultural event with TBH, which is valid, they're on good terms. It definitely undercuts the sincerity of the fact we consider TBH to be a threat to our security, as evidenced by the full proscription of TBH, if our MoFA is also helping another region cozy up with them. Similarly, last term we saw the entire Cabinet of TNP undersign a statement insulting TSP. Would we want a member of our Cabinet in that room, even if in a supposedly "unrelated" office?
Because of this and the things you argued towards the end of your post, I would support broadening the definition of "equivalent office" to mean any cabinet-level or higher position in a foreign region. In some cases, often relating to the execution of executive power and major foreign policy, cabinets and cabinet-type bodies function as a unit advising the main executive or authorizing major initiatives. Even positions of two different department types could have a similar influence in these regards, and that still represents a conflict of interest.
(05-20-2021, 05:01 PM)HumanSanity Wrote: Can someone honestly serve as Vizier of FA in Osiris, a raider region (albeit one we have detente with), and MoD in TSP? Or even MoC, since cultural activities ultimately generate activity for either the SPSF or the Sekhmet Legion, which are on opposing sides 95 of 100 times?
This isn't a huge point, but I think it's worth noting: Correct me if I'm wrong, someone, but wouldn't that 5 out of 100 times really only be antifascist operations? Which are undoubtedly important, but antifascism on the site is thankfully so universal that it's either viewed as an out-of-character problem or with enough hostility that anyone will come together to beat it up regardless of FA and general military alignment (source: TITO and SPSF participated in the Genua raid alongside LWU and TBH, or were at least both involved). So for all intents and purposes, I'd consider our in-character and in-game interests entirely opposed to that of the Sekhmet and similar organizations.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Removing Restriction on Offices Held in Other Regions - by Quebecshire - 05-20-2021, 07:35 PM