We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Charter Typo

(05-01-2014, 04:37 PM)Belschaft Wrote:
(05-01-2014, 12:41 PM)Sandaoguo Wrote: The administration of drafting, debate, and passage of legislation, to me, encompasses the authority to correct obvious mistakes in legislation.

That's a facetious and absurd definition. "Passage of legislation" cannot possibly be interpreted to give authority to alter laws after they have passed.

You knew that what you were doing was illegal and you didn't give a shit.

You're right that I didn't care what the procedural law was on fixing obvious typos. You're wrong that I believed it was illegal.

This is the dumbest discussion we have ever had in this region. The notion that we need to statutorily authorize the Chair to fix typos is overlegislating. It's micromanaging the position of Chair of the Assembly.

I don't support amending the Charter, because it's absolutely unnecessary. It sets a terrible precedent. Every time any Cabinet minister does anything not explicitly authorized by law, we'll have people like Belschaft demanding their heads. That's a road we don't need to go down.

Messages In This Thread
Charter Typo - by Arbiter08 - 04-24-2014, 01:28 PM