We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Voter Registration

I'm not entirely sold on it myself, but here is a proposal to reform voter eligibility. It draws upon some of the ideas previously proposed by Jay and Comfed, but also introduces some new proposed changes to the debate as well.

This proposal seeks to streamline the process by which South Pacificans can become eligible to vote by allowing any South Pacifican to apply to become a registered voter. Gaining and maintaining that status is contingent upon passing and continuing to pass a standard security check, similar to our current system with legislatorship. However, there are no activity requirements to maintain that status.

Under this system, South Pacificans will no longer be required to participate in our legislature in order to vote for members of the executive. While all South Pacificans who pass the security check will remain eligible to participate in the Assembly, they will not be required to participate regularly in order to maintain their status. This may lead to many inactive members of the Assembly, but I believe it will decrease the number of uninformed voters who vote simply in order to keep their status. Instead, I believe Assembly debate and votes will be driven simply by those with an interest in it and who choose to continue participating.

A security check also necessarily means that elections will be conducted on the forums; most importantly, there will be no second round in Delegate elections conducted by regional poll. In order to vote, South Pacificans must register to vote. In our current system, the Assembly votes first on the forums and then the region as a whole votes by regional poll. In this proposed system, all interested South Pacificans — not just the Assembly — may register to vote, and then a single round of voting is conducted. To alleviate concerns that players who do not use the forums frequently may feel disenfranchised, this proposal codifies a system similar to that employed for this Great Council. Advance notice is provided to all South Pacificans through in-game mechanics, and those interested may submit a voter registration application. Unlike the current system, they will not need to worry about losing that status if they do not check the forum often following the election.

[Image: flag%20of%20esfalsa%20animated.svg] Esfalsa | NationStatesWiki | Roleplay | Discord

[Image: rank_officer.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_2.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_3.min.svg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pronoun's post:
  • Comfed

Messages In This Thread
Voter Registration - by Pronoun - 07-19-2022, 05:25 PM
RE: Voter Registration - by sandaoguo - 07-19-2022, 08:23 PM
RE: Voter Registration - by Pronoun - 07-19-2022, 09:09 PM