We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

hot take: get rid of legal questions

I'm not gonna write this up because, for some reason, I don't have much enthusiasm right now. But I want to put it out there.

Legal questions are kinda silly! We have an unfortunate tendency to take interesting legislative debates and just redirect it all to judicial decisions. This has happened a frustrating amount of times. Guys! You can make laws about that! Votes! Rather than giving all the decisions to a few people! Weird legal issue? I don't care! We can vote on it as a region! Our Justices aren't gods! Or leave arbitrations up to the relevant official!

When I said 'for some reason' earlier I lied. I did know the reason. It's because any enthusiasm I had for change was sapped by two months of judicial waterlogging where we just kinda sat waiting for the court to make a decision like a sad cat waiting to be given dinner when there's a full bowl right there. Why would I care after that? I'm posting now because I was reminded by a situation elsewhere. Right now, TEP is going through some weird shit where they just got rid of all their government changes since 2019 because they took a legal question to the absurd extreme rather than just listening to what people actually wanted and what worked.

The legislative game is more interesting than the judicial game, and more people can actually play it!
[-] The following 4 users Like Nakari's post:
  • A bee, maluhia, Qaweritoyu, Tsunamy

Messages In This Thread
hot take: get rid of legal questions - by Nakari - 08-08-2022, 06:39 PM