We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Assembly engagement idea: Committees

Here's a half-baked idea I've been kicking around in my head for a bit now.

The Assembly is simultaneously our legislature and our oversight/accountability body. Yet, right now it doesn't have individuals who fulfill any specialized tasks in any of those regards. There's no defined set of individuals who take charge of overseeing foreign affairs, or the SPSF, or gameside outreach, or the CRS, or LegComm, or really anything. It's all up to whatever can achieve all-of-Assembly attention, and the day to day of governance gets entirely lost.

My proposal is both simple and complicated at the same time. I'd like to give the Chair the power to form committees for different oversight or legislative purposes, and to appoint and dismiss members to them, which would have the initial/primary responsibility for their domains. Other Legislators would still be able to do things in the specified area (i.e., if I have a thought about Culture but I'm not on the Culture Committee, I can still post), but the people on the Committee would have the primary task/responsibility to address that area. They could even bring proposals or suggestions to the entire Assembly regarding that area and take special time to stay in contact with the relevant executive officials in charge of that area. If we care about public oversight, it might be good to have a few people on an SPSF committee who occasionally ask the Minister "hey, what was this op we did?" or "we noticed we didn't have as many updaters for this operation, what was up with that?", etc. It might be good to have a Culture committee that can say "why was X event not promoted on Y platform? How did you decide to schedule the events?", etc.

I'm not super attached to this idea, but it's been kicking in the back of my head for a bit now
Minister of Foreign Affairs
General of the South Pacific Special Forces
Ambassador to Balder
Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[Image: ykXEqbU.png]

Messages In This Thread
Assembly engagement idea: Committees - by HumanSanity - 08-14-2022, 04:32 PM