We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Assembly engagement idea: Committees

Now that I actually understand what HS meant in OP thanks to Ebon and Kringle, I think I can clarify some of the issues Esfalsa raised based on the RL approach.

(08-19-2022, 03:58 AM)Pronoun Wrote: Like, it's good if the Assembly starts getting more engaged with oversight of the executive
That would be more like a select/special Committee, same with your "whole Assembly issue" one. They exist for a specific issue related to any office breaking the law, inspecting them and giving back the report. The Whistleblower Protection Act which we have already hints at such a thing being an obligation of Legislators when they receive sensitive information.

(08-19-2022, 03:58 AM)Pronoun Wrote: committee for a particular policy area ends up pretty inactive
Now that's a "Standing" Committee, or just...Committee. They usually are inactive and exist as sort of "working groups" when the Assembly wishes to address a specific topic.
Such a Committee would be (off the top of my head) a Regular Committee for General Law Revisions, which would help legislators when they express the wish to modify a certain general law or its segment.

(08-19-2022, 03:58 AM)Pronoun Wrote: line between joining a committee for a policy area and joining the ministry for it isn't all that defined
The only Committees that I can perceive existing here is some sort of "Petition Committee" where it formulates and pinpoints which enacted policy they would like more information on or made revisions on.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Assembly engagement idea: Committees - by A bee - 08-19-2022, 06:24 PM