We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DRAFT] Eliminating Extraneous Articles in the Criminal Code

(10-25-2019, 10:19 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: Practically speaking, parole just doesn't work. Just as most people don't return after being temporarily banned from the region, the idea that we need parole is ... just yeah. I don't even know the last person who was on parole. And honestly, I feel like there was only ever one person, no?

(10-26-2019, 01:58 PM)sandaoguo Wrote: And the people who do return — when we make the dumb mistake of allowing them back — never do so in good faith. 

It would still be nice to actually have an idea why the system failed rather than just general comments. Just because Obamacare had negative effects in some regions and on some people doesn't mean that all healthcare is bad, does it? I do not believe that offering some kind of parole or similar system is (fundamentally) bad - this is one is simply lacking.

(10-25-2019, 10:45 PM)Amerion Wrote: Having had a look at the ban list, I see that other than proscriptions, the only IC ban is that of Cormac who the High Court 'found guilty of the crime of treason against the Coalition of the South Pacific and is sentenced to an indefinite ban from the region and forum.' Given that this measure would remove the prospect for the parole of this individual, will there be another avenue created or will this ban be well and truly 'indefinite'?

As far as I can see, I see no other avenue to have this ban legally revoked under current law. I'd still like an official answer on this.

Finally, to everyone: past offenders may not have returned or returned in bad faith - we still need to examine the possibility that some of them could have or that future members could become good, honest members of the community under the right circumstances.
The real world keeps showing us that increasing punishments, that excessively harsh criminal systems often have far, far more negative effects than positive.
I believe that we should keep some kind of option of integration for all IC offenders and most OOC offenders - we need to strike a workable balance between security, reintegration and prevention in our legal system and strive to improve it where it is lacking.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Eliminating Extraneous Articles in the Criminal Code - by Sasha - 10-26-2019, 04:24 PM