We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

The Legate's Tower

It had been a week now, slowly but steadily they were starting to feel at home. Of course the children wanted to go back, but later on they will be thankful for the experience. Or so he hoped.
After the short press conference, Sinclair was approached by a woman from Imperial News Network, Katrani Corgill. She had asked him if a possible exclusive interview could happen. Sinclair accepted and beligerently refused any other interviews. The day of the interview had come.

"Let's begin with the more visible irregularities. As I understand your job title isn't Ambassador, but Legate? And this has military connotations from what I understand? I mean your uniform reveals that somewhat, unless it isn't a military uniform."

''Yes, the title is Legate and this is indeed a Legate's uniform. Within our Kingdom foreign policy is joibtly operated by the military and civilian government. For those who don't already know, the military is run independently from government, but both serve under the King who serves as a bridge between the two.''

''Ah I see, so the role of your monarch is quite important in politics'?'

''In a way yes. Constitutionally the monarch has quite a lot of power. However there are a few unwritten rules as well. The monarch is expected to respect the will of the people and accept the Chancellor and grant him those powers. There also is the Parliamentary Guard which prevents any coup d'états from the King. Whether the King involves himself in politics is entirely up to him. Previous Kings have taken distance from politics and left internal affairs completly to politicians while focusing on their duties in the military.''

''And what kind of King is King Andrei?''

''I think his press conference of the state visit made that clear. He is very caring for his people.''

''But aren't you affraid he could misuse his powers?''

''If you know recent Stoinian history than you will see why people trust him.''

''Please do enlighten us.''

''Around thirty years ago, when I was about 10 years old, our King Alexandru III tried to initiate first contact with the Velutarians. He was killed in the process and thus the gruesome Velutarian War started. King Andrei was but a mere newborn at the time. Tensions rose between the civilian government and the military, while the Velutarians located our outer colonies and conquered them. The Terrans on those colonies were subjugated into horrible experiments by the technologically superior Velutarians. It was then that the Royal Council appointed Grand General MacArthur as the Regent. The military was de facto in power during the war. The war lasted for 18 years and 8.7 trillion Terrans died, more than half of our population back then. I don't see how a civilian government would have dealt any better than MacArthur did.''

''But isn't that illegal? What about the representation of the people? Weren't they ignored?''

''People openly supported MacArthur. The O'Connel government didn't know anything on how to fight a war and their initial command proved devastating for our forces. That's why the Royal Council elected MacArthur as Regent. We needed a wartime leader, it was time for war and no political squabbling. The people had spoken and the process was well wothin our law syste. Yes MacArthur then installed Legates as military governors on planets and there was some resistance, but we were fighting a losing war. Were it not for MacArthur, Hague and Cole, I wouldn't be standing here. King Andrei then prepared his whole life to lead us in this war. At 17 he commanded Task Forces against the Velutarians and when he turned 18 he became the Butcher of Velutaria. From that day on he proved himself to us.''

''Fascinating, did you serve in this Velutarian War?''

''In some capacities everyone served, to resource mining to actual fighting. I joined the Marine Corps and served in the 214th Regiment. Oorah!''

Sinclair also proceeded to do a military salute at the oorah. He had forgotten about the connotation it had within Ryccia, right now he could only hope for the best. Katrani Corgill looked a bit shocked, but quickly followed with the next question.

''But didn't your Kingdom try resolve this peacefully?''

''When xenos don't try to even communicate with us and killed our King, I think those acts speak for themselves. Regardless of how technologically superior they were, they committed an act of war and later atrocitites. The Ryccian people should know that by now that you shouldn't provoke Stoinians in such a manner.''

Sinclair may have made an error here by provoking the Ryccians with the Rascal Incident. Katrani Corgill was a top journalist for a reason. She too could swing back in her own way.

''The Rascal Incident aside, don't you think the Stoinians might be overzealous in their xenophobia?''

''Overzealous? Madam Corgill, four times our race was threatened by xenos. Our extinction was a day to day worry. Your ideals are commendable, but our part of space tells us that those ideals can't always be put in practice. When your part of space was infested by barbarian pirates and clans, you don't become as open as you are. And what you call xenophobia, we call a realitiy check.''

''An interesting perspective, but isn't that way of thinking dangerous to other races? Is it instilled in your military that feeling?''

''Of course its drilled into us mostly in military style programs at schools. The military is the protector of the people and you don't want weak men with their heads in the clouds protecting you. That way of thinking is what kept us alive time and time again when we faced extinction. As to other species, we can find common ground. The Cheunh are a prime example of that.''

"I have found a little bit about these Cheunh, but I think you have to agree that they look quite human like. I believe the Stoinians might have a preference for only humanoid races. Races which only look according to your humancentric view. Would you have the same reacting if they were for example Uraktiksak? "

"I am afraid I am unfamiliar with these Urakti ... How are they called?"

Katrani then opened a holoprojector depicting the predatory xenos. Sinclair hadn't expected such a vile creature to appear. These Ryccian ideals had to be engrained in them for such a vile beast to be accepted into their ranks. Sinclair's slight disgust could be seen by the most attentive watchers.

"Uraktiksak. Would they likely have received the same "gratification" as the Cheunh?"

"Obviously madam Corgill, I am not in charge of making such policy. You also forget that the Cheunh have proven themselves in battle and fought alongside us in the Mardakii Crusade. They shed their blood as well for our common enemy."

"But would you accept them into your Kingdom as worthy citizens based on the info I have given you?"

"I believe your schools teach racism classes. Classes which weren't deemed necessary for my children, but I insisted they took them. I may not exactly know what is taught in those classes, but I have an idea. And like yourselves, we don't just judge a book by its cover. We Stoinians speak through deeds, if the Urakti ... Uraktiksak understand that and prove themselves, I don't see a single problem."

Katrani looked quite inquisitively at Sinclair.

"You mentioned the Mardakii Crusade ... What exactly is this crusade? Did you serve in that one as well?"

"No, I have had my fair share of battles and have focused on training young Marines after the Velutarian War. The Crusade was mostly with select volunteer forces lead by the King. The crusade was meant to eliminate hostile Mardakii threats which inhabited the space between us and the Cheunh Ascendancy at the time. But that isn't the entire context. In the first ten years a Mardakii clan invaded our homeworld and committed atrocities far worse than the Velutarians ... In some instances ... Terrans were eaten. Ever since then it has become our duty to eliminate them and ensure no other species endures what we have by the hands of the Mardakii."

"But isn't that, to put it bluntly, genocide?"

"It was us or them. When your children are at stake, you don't overthink it. What the first generation of Stoinians endured is unimaginable and should never be repeated to any species out there. And if it meant to kill the Mardakii then so be it."

"What about the Mardakii children? Aren't they innocent?"

"The children we ignored until the end of the Crusade. We tried to make a clear difference between Mardakii soldiers and civilians. Although at times it was hard to distinguish the difference due to their animalistic nature and it quickly became a thing of which Mardakii stormed at your men. The children were then captured and put in nature preserves to live their lives on where they couldn't hurt any other species."

Katrani was astonished. By Ryccian standards they had committed war crimes and their Legate just admitted to it. She quickly shook it off and went on with the interview.

"But don't you think that's inhumane?"

"Compared to eating, butchering and enslaving innocent Terrans? No, we gave them a chance to redeem themselves. There is an order of things in the universe. Like the predators and herbivores, you shouldn't poke the wrong lion as we put it."

"Quite interesting ... But let's instead focus on yourself. I think we have quite enough to digest about the facts you have given us. Politics can be quite unnerving ..."

"I understand, the very ideals you hold dear are being challenged. I truly admire your values, but our part of this sector has made us into what we are. We were forged in fire, but will never admit to become ashes."

"I see ... Have you settled in with your new homes yet?"

"Yes, though I am still getting used to viewing only cities. But the trees in our commercial zone help a lot. I must say, I think I am growing a soft spot for Daonlathas."

"How interesting. And your family and entourage have the same feeling?"

"Well the kids already want to go home, but yeah its hard on them. I hope later in life they will come to see and appreciate the unique opportunity that has been given to them. To be here amongst you is a huge honour, let alone to be taught in famous schools."

"Good to hear you have an optimistic view. Have you had many visits regarding businesses who want to expand in both our nations?"

"A few here and there, but nothing too special. However I suspect and influx of Stoinians will come over the next few weeks. So if any of the Ryccian companies want to expand in Stoinia, the Stoinian Embassy is open from 9 to 17 every day except on Sunday. Come about and we'll guide you to a successful career in Stoinia."

"Well perhaps I will come more frequently to visit those Stoinian shops or a cup of coffee with such a good pitchman."

"Oh I myself am more of a tea man. A good ol' earl grey."

"Ah a man of tea? Though I can't say I am familiar with that taste."

"All the more reason to come visit the embassy."

"I sure will. Legate Sinclair thank you very much for the interview."

"No thank you and I'll see you around my embassy then."

They both smiled and then shook each others hand. Sinclair gave a firm handshake as was expected in Stoinia, while Katrani was quite shocked by the amount of force Sinclair had used. Sinclair had adjusted to a more elegant handshake that you gave women, but even then it proved quite a surprise for Katrani. They a few more talks and Katrani had given Sinclair her word she would come around for a visit. 
Later that night a fallout emerged on news networks. Some more radical headlines than others. National Review: "Legate Sinclair confirmed Stoinian barbarity!" ''A parasite that profits from our schools!" The People's Inquirer: ''Stoinians might kill an Uraktiksak because of its looks?!" While others were more reserved. INN: "Stoinian values challenge ours. A deeper look at their Legate." Even at home the Progressive Xeno Party was outraged by Sinclair's openness about the Mardakii Crusade and their aftermath. Thank God he hadn't started about the Great Hunt. Some wanted Sinclair to be recalled, but the higher ups refused. This was to be expected and rather than replacing Sinclair with a new person who wouldn't have the same qualities and make other mistakes, the Stoinian Government had decided that what Sinclair needed was a Ryccian Advisor. Luckily the Ryccians had just the right person in mind.
Pacifica: MyriaSallodesia, Stoinia • A1-0: Stoinian Star Kingdom • Aurora: Kingdom of Threnebor
[-] The following 1 user Likes Maverick's post:
  • Ryccia

Messages In This Thread
The Legate's Tower - by Maverick - 06-09-2020, 05:31 PM
RE: The Legate's Tower - by Maverick - 07-28-2020, 04:33 PM
RE: The Legate's Tower - by Maverick - 07-28-2020, 09:59 PM
RE: The Legate's Tower - by Maverick - 08-04-2020, 12:50 PM
RE: The Legate's Tower - by Ryccia - 08-04-2020, 08:07 PM
RE: The Legate's Tower - by Maverick - 08-04-2020, 08:43 PM
RE: The Legate's Tower - by Ryccia - 08-04-2020, 08:52 PM
RE: The Legate's Tower - by Maverick - 08-05-2020, 07:40 AM
RE: The Legate's Tower - by Ryccia - 08-08-2020, 05:55 PM