We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Anjo for Chair!

Thank you for the questions!

(08-22-2021, 09:36 PM)Langburn Wrote: What are some ways that you as Chair can increase government accountability of ministers in the Assembly?
To be honest, I think the most I in the function as Chair could do in that regard is putting things like possible recall motions to vote in a timely manner and ensuring that the atmosphere in the Assembly remains friendly and open to legislators discussing what the Cabinet has been up to ‒ personally starting such discussion or otherwise politically confronting another body in my role as Chair and not as fellow legislator wouldn't be something I'd consider part of the duties of the office. Also, I believe the Cabinet's been doing a phenomenal job in making itself more accountable to the Assembly (or all citizens for that matter) by continuing the monthly progress reports and subsequent Q&As on Discord ‒ I really can't think of something more direct and interactive compared to that right now Tounge

(08-23-2021, 02:17 AM)Jay Coop Wrote: If elected, how do you plan to balance your responsibilities as chair and OWL director?
I'm currently just sitting at home doing basically nothing until university is starting, so I'm having plenty of time on my hands for the near future to settle in and get used to the combined duties if I am elected. As OWL director and senior staff member, I'm mainly concerned with opening/closing votes and publishing prepared recommendation dispatches (of course I also write them here and there, but we have a far larger pool of staff who are doing this in relation to the other tasks, so naturally I end up doing that part less frequently), and these tasks only need to be done when there's an actual new proposal submitted/at vote in the WA, which is very much manageable, especially with other senior staff members by my side. We have Assembly votes way less often and in much more foreseeable ways than a new resolution reaches the WA voting floor, and States of the Assembly are only published once in a month; the most frequently exercised task of the Chair would be approving LoAs I reckon, and that is hardly any effort. All in all, I'm pretty confident I'll be able to keep up with Chair duties while also not neglecting OWL.
However, if a situation were to suddenly come up where I couldn't take on either one or both office's tasks, I'd nonetheless at least keep OWL senior staff/my Deputy Chairs (who, with my plans to involve them more in everyday happenings, should be prepared and know about the office's duties) informed on what needs to be done and would try to remain in close contact, even if I couldn't personally do things.
[Image: koC8Gf6.png]
[Image: Sl6mZCD.png] [Image: iEwICrf.png] [Image: IL1nUV5.png] [Image: RLU6NBO.png] [Image: MbXQuqv.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes anjo's post:
  • Langburn

Messages In This Thread
Anjo for Chair! - by anjo - 08-21-2021, 11:45 AM
RE: Anjo for Chair! - by Quebecshire - 08-21-2021, 02:19 PM
RE: Anjo for Chair! - by anjo - 08-22-2021, 05:52 AM
RE: Anjo for Chair! - by Langburn - 08-22-2021, 09:36 PM
RE: Anjo for Chair! - by Jay Coop - 08-23-2021, 02:17 AM
RE: Anjo for Chair! - by anjo - 08-23-2021, 10:30 AM
RE: Anjo for Chair! - by Langburn - 08-23-2021, 09:03 PM