We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Moving to an appointment-based Cabinet

Should we move to an appointment-based cabinet, which I have supported for a long time, we should definitely include a confirmation system or some sort of challenge that allows citizens with a bold agenda to run the ministry themselves if they don't agree with the PM's appointment.

(07-18-2022, 01:03 PM)Bleakfoot Wrote: Rather than codifying specific ministries, I wonder whether we should instead codify specific responsibilities (related to game mechanics) that the Prime Minister or a duly appointed minister must fulfil. The constitutional law therefore becomes a sort of "minimum viable product" of what duties must be carried out, with prospective PMs then free to fill the rest of their agenda as they see fit.
Yeah, this is something I agree with. We don't have to entirely decodify the cabinet portfolios per se but list a few constitutional portfolios (i.e. permanently retaining a foreign ministry).

(07-18-2022, 02:13 PM)Jagged Fel Wrote: Not having stable ministries would imply that their members must change positions regularly, which risks causing disengagement.

And doesn't the possibility that new ministries appear without their function being governed by the charter risk destabilizing the cabinet?

About the proposal, the prime minister has more power by appointing the ministers himself, but what is the relationship between the prime minister and the delegate? The delegate is elected directly by the nations but has little power, so in the context of a lack of commitment wouldn't it be better to give power back to the delegate who is potentially "closer" to the nations of the region

I have to disagree with you on this. Under the existing system, we have such a rigid regime that limits what we can do and result in the expansion and bloating of a single minister's portfolio. We can see that through the former Ministry of Regional Affairs. The appointment system and allowing the PM to decide what ministries exist (other than the constitutional portfolios I mentioned above) allows for creativity and prevent a bloated portfolio. For example, I was particularly intrigued when TNP delegate Tlomz announced a cards ministry. That's an amazing thing we could have done here, but it just wasn't possible because of the constitutional rigidity of our cabinet and the election-based system we have.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

Messages In This Thread
Moving to an appointment-based Cabinet - by Moon - 07-18-2022, 12:09 PM
RE: Moving to an appointment-based Cabinet - by Jay Coop - 07-18-2022, 04:04 PM