We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Moving to an appointment-based Cabinet

(07-18-2022, 01:03 PM)Bleakfoot Wrote: we should instead codify specific responsibilities (related to game mechanics) that the Prime Minister or a duly appointed minister must fulfill.
I believe that this sort of procedural solution is viable as well, it's a simpler method as well. Fully agreed.

(07-18-2022, 02:13 PM)Jagged Fel Wrote: but what is the relationship between the prime minister and the delegate?
I believe that discussions regarding the Head of State and Delegate role should be a separate thread. After reaching consensus on the HoG and HoS is when it would be best to discuss the nature of their mutual relations. I think that putting all these topics on a single thread at the beginning is like us playing darts blindfolded.

(07-18-2022, 02:34 PM)HumanSanity Wrote: A Prime Minister could choose to exercise foreign affairs responsibilities themselves.
I disagree with this. In this prism, it would make more sense for foreign affairs to be conducted by the Head of State/Delegate. I'm open to the idea of a collective 'Council' covering matters of Foreign Affairs though.

(07-18-2022, 02:34 PM)HumanSanity Wrote: Ministry/SPSF to be done by the SPSF's Officers jointly
I strongly disagree with this. The SPSF should still have 'civilian control' in the form of a political body/office.

(07-18-2022, 02:34 PM)HumanSanity Wrote: best left to the Assembly as a political and accountability question.
Yes, reporting on progress is a method of the Assembly holding the PM accountable, some systems introduce the procedure of the Legislative regularly asking 'questions' to members of the Executive within the report/briefing communication.

(07-18-2022, 04:04 PM)Jay Coop Wrote: we should definitely include a confirmation system or some sort of challenge that allows citizens with a bold agenda to run the ministry themselves
The confirmation system is exactly what gave me the most issues when drafting proposals for changing the Charter. There are numerous methods of conducting this confirmation but they are very hard to simulate. I'm very excited to hear suggestions on how others would introduce confirmation of the PM Cabinet in detail.
I don't understand the latter part of the statement though. Citizens running Ministries but not being elected for them seems unnatural. Allowing the Assembly to recall specific Ministers defeats the purpose of appointment IMO.
Perhaps a good solution would be the PM presenting a ballot for his choice of Cabinet members, say 2-3 people for each Ministry. The Assembly would then vote on their preferred candidate from that list of candidates. This is what I originally had in mind but it seemed very impractical and convoluted.
[-] The following 1 user Likes A bee's post:
  • im_a_waffle1

Messages In This Thread
Moving to an appointment-based Cabinet - by Moon - 07-18-2022, 12:09 PM
RE: Moving to an appointment-based Cabinet - by A bee - 07-18-2022, 05:58 PM