We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Moving to an appointment-based Cabinet

I have to say I'm personally very uncomfortable with putting this much power into a single pair of hands ‒ especially if we're not providing at least some sort of framework, be it specific ministries or just even broad descriptions of portfolios to be met.

But if we want to go down this path, we should also consider how we'll provide checks and balances against this pretty significant shift of power towards the executive. Assembly confirmation or, more favourably, some sort of challenging mechanism for individual citizens to present themselves as an alternative to the PM's appointment (as Jay proposed), is the bare minimum for me here. For example, I'd say we should definitely also look into term limits (if we actually do implement a blank cheque for the PM, I'd go so far as to say that they shouldn't be able to serve more than one term consecutively), or changing the electoral system to make it harder to be elected with controversial policies.
[Image: koC8Gf6.png]
[Image: Sl6mZCD.png] [Image: iEwICrf.png] [Image: IL1nUV5.png] [Image: RLU6NBO.png] [Image: MbXQuqv.png]
[-] The following 4 users Like anjo's post:
  • A bee, Belschaft, Concrete Slab, im_a_waffle1

Messages In This Thread
Moving to an appointment-based Cabinet - by Moon - 07-18-2022, 12:09 PM
RE: Moving to an appointment-based Cabinet - by anjo - 07-19-2022, 02:58 AM