We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Moving to an appointment-based Cabinet

(07-19-2022, 02:17 PM)The Allied States of Bistritza Wrote:
(07-19-2022, 02:58 AM)anjo Wrote: we should also consider how we'll provide checks and balances against this pretty significant shift of power towards the executive.

I've got a few things which I've mentioned:
Quote:Besides motioning a vote of no confidence (which is an extreme case), perhaps codifying an obligation of the Prime Minister (or his appointed subsidiary) to present ''briefings'' to the Assembly on a regular basis.
(...)
Setting the agenda in the campaign would make them more substantial and would provide a good set of standards which both the Assembly and the Prime Minister could judge that specific term by. If the agenda isn't met, the term is judged poorly. However, it also provides a discussion on why the agenda wasn't reached. If the reasons prove to be of systemic nature, it further incentivizes a natural development of The Coalition towards efficiency.

I'd also like to add what I've mentioned to HS during my defense of this type of system,
Quote:some systems introduce the procedure of the Legislative regularly asking 'questions' to members of the Executive within the report/briefing communication.

I think this would cover the right to check and balance the PM by the Assembly. However, I believe a check and balance procedure should be given to the WA Delegate towards the PM as well.

This is exactly same thing that we do right now.
"After he realizes this newfound power of his to override the hopes and dreams of republicans, he puts all of the united provinces under his control."
one time minister of culture

[Image: rank_trainee.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_1.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_2.min.svg]

Messages In This Thread
Moving to an appointment-based Cabinet - by Moon - 07-18-2022, 12:09 PM
RE: Moving to an appointment-based Cabinet - by im_a_waffle1 - 07-19-2022, 03:25 PM