We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Moving to an appointment-based Cabinet

(07-20-2022, 03:54 PM)QuietDad Wrote: Only issue I have is cabinet members like Minister of Defense might be better served by a voting public familiar with the SPSF than a random appointment by a well deserving new Prime minister having spent no time following or being involved in or with SPSF activities and not knowing a worthy appointment. MoFA is another branch that needs the right person a new Prime Minister might not know

This may perhaps be solved with how it works in many real militaries - there is a professional head of the army/military (usually the most senior general/admiral, eg. the First Sea Lord) who is chosen or appointed by the Generals, and then the Minister of Defence, which is usually a political figure who is part of the cabinet. That way, there's always someone at the head of the organisation who has the most experience in running it even if the Minister has no experience with the position at all, and if the Prime Minister just doesn't have any idea who they should put as the Minister, they can chose that professional head (though I don't think the latter happens very often irl, but it would be quite useful here).

I would also like to say that whichever way this goes, I don't think it's a particularly good idea to completely remove any mention in law relating to how our military or foreign affairs ministry is run. The SPSF and MoFA very much depend on having laws which guarantee their existence and also set out rules for how they are run, especially regarding the Military Code (which set out some pretty important details regarding rules, disciplinary action and the structure of the SPSF)  and what powers the MoFA has regarding treaties and foreign relations. I get that most Prime Ministers will want to keep these ministries in place, but these Ministries are still too important to simply trust the Prime Minister at the time to not use their practically unlimited power to do whatever they want with them, and it would just be much more reassuring on all sides (domestically and abroad) if they remained as law. I think it'd be feasible to do this for the other ministries, though, as they aren't essential to national security in the same way.
[Image: st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u5.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jebediah's post:
  • A bee

Messages In This Thread
Moving to an appointment-based Cabinet - by Moon - 07-18-2022, 12:09 PM
RE: Moving to an appointment-based Cabinet - by Jebediah - 07-22-2022, 11:02 AM