We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Moving to an appointment-based Cabinet

(07-30-2022, 01:29 PM)Pronoun Wrote: The impressions created by statutory powers is also important. Reading your proposal, the two biggest concerns that popped into my head are:
  • There's no clear pathway to learn the leadership skills future Prime Ministers will need. If I'm understanding correctly, in your proposal Ministers are effectively serving an administrative role of overseeing one area of Cabinet responsibility, while Prime Ministers are expected to make decisions on the military, World Assembly, proscriptions, and so forth. Not all of these areas of responsibility fall under Cabinet ministers more generally. I'll be the first to recognize that it can feel redundant for the Prime Minister to bring numerous issues to a Cabinet vote just for those issues to often be rubber-stamped, but without offering interested Cabinet members even the opportunity to chime in or see those processes at work, there are limited opportunities for them to experience and learn the decision-making we expect of a Prime Minister.

I broadly agree with your stance on electing the Cabinet, as opposed to appointing, but I think it’s worth pointing out that I doubt the expectation is for someone to serve a single term as a Minister and then run for the position of Prime Minister. I would imagine the ideal candidate is someone who has served across the Cabinet in a variety of positions, so that they can take a little from each role and coalesce it into a leadership style for the region.

Not that I expect this to be the case, even sporadically. There’s just too few players to make that a viable “career” path.
ProfessorHenn
Legislator

Messages In This Thread
Moving to an appointment-based Cabinet - by Moon - 07-18-2022, 12:09 PM
RE: Moving to an appointment-based Cabinet - by ProfessorHenn - 07-31-2022, 02:44 AM