We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Moving to an appointment-based Cabinet

(08-13-2022, 10:32 AM)Qaweritoyu Wrote: I don't see why an appointment-based cabinet will make a difference, if the sitting Minister is under pressure in their role, they're still going to resign, elected or not, the only benefit I see is that the replacement process will be much quicker but that, to me, is hardly a reason to bring this up in a Great Council debate, what am I missing?

Expediency of the appointment process is a relatively small part of the argument in favor of this. The agenda-setting power of the Prime Minister is a far larger part of the argument, as explained above. This proposal didn't emerge due to irritation over needing to replace Cabinet-members via elections. If that was the only issue, we could simply eliminate the half-term threshold for Cabinet appointing a replacement and make it so that the Cabinet appoints a replacement throughout the term.

(08-13-2022, 12:24 PM)The Lile Ulie Islands Wrote: Now yes, there are many wonderful candidates who are skilled in different fields of each Ministry, but I feel like the exact same people will be in the Cabinet. For instance, let’s take me. Many probably didn’t know about me a few months ago. Let me rephrase that. Barely any of you knew about me a few months ago. I was Delegate if a user-created, then-minuscule region. Here I come to The South Pacific, not knowing a single nation here. Only a few months later, bam, elected to the Cabinet as Minister of Culture. Now, I’m not saying I’m a “wonderful leader,” but there could be nations who would do a fantastic job at leading a Ministry, but wouldn’t make the vetting process on the appointments to the Cabinet.

I do understand why this experience would make you support an election process over an appointment process, but it doesn't actually result in agenda cohesion. It also doesn't set you up for success as a Minister, really, because it sets young Ministers up to come into office without mentorship or support. Yes, it gets people into office, but does it set them up to succeed in office? Does it set the region up to succeed, given they're often elected to fulfill disparate and random goals relative that aren't in coordination with other Cabinet Ministers?

Just being a Minister is honestly worthless. It's what people do with it that count. Appointed Ministers are in a far better position to actualize goals.

(08-13-2022, 12:24 PM)The Lile Ulie Islands Wrote: I like Elections. I love elections. We’re a democratic region. Let’s keep it that way.
This is just stating something. It doesn't actually explain why elections at every single level, for almost every position, are good. My proposal retains TSP as a democratic region, the only difference is where and how democratic accountability is applied.
Minister of Foreign Affairs
General of the South Pacific Special Forces
Ambassador to Balder
Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[Image: ykXEqbU.png]

Messages In This Thread
Moving to an appointment-based Cabinet - by Moon - 07-18-2022, 12:09 PM
RE: Moving to an appointment-based Cabinet - by HumanSanity - 08-14-2022, 04:21 PM