We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Court Reform - this time for real

(02-14-2018, 05:38 PM)nakari Wrote: I'd like for a bit more clarification on this (Article 1.4, with similar phrasing in 1.6):
Quote:(4) In case of a vacancy, the associate justices will select a willing and eligible individual amongst themselves to serve as chief justice.
The way it is written, so long as the decision is taken collectively, the associate justices could choose anybody, which I don't think is the intention - the 'amongst' could be either 'individual amongst themselves' or 'select... amongst themselves'. I would suggest "the associate justices will collectively select a willing and eligible individual from their number", perhaps. Or, if you did intend for them to be able to select anyone, "the associate justices will select amongst themselves a willing and eligible individual".

The intent is that the associate justices pick a justice from their ranks to fill the slot, yeah. I didn't think it was ambiguous but I can see how that could be with your explanation. How about this?

Quote:(4) In case of a vacancy, a willing and eligible associate justice will be selected by their peers to serve as chief justice.

(02-14-2018, 05:38 PM)nakari Wrote: Being a grammatical pedant too, this phrasing in Article 8 does not work for me:
Quote:(3) Material that is of a personal nature, such as revealing personally identifiable information or would otherwise unreasonably violate personal privacy,
The two parts just don't agree grammatically, and I can't find something that does match them both satisfyingly. Perhaps:
"Material that is of a personal nature, such as that which reveals personally identifiable information or which would otherwise..."
Though that's still a little unwieldy.

I actually like your rephrasing tbh.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

Messages In This Thread
RE: [DRAFT] Court Reform - this time for real - by Roavin - 02-14-2018, 06:05 PM