We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

A Memory of Starlight [IC]

Laki sat waiting, expecting Au Tahuna's words to manifest into reality like some kind of prophecy. He could almost feel the forces of destiny leading someone through the maze of streets to the rag-covered door. A long silence stretched out around him, yawning to be filled by a long-expected entry.

But no one came.

At last, Au Tahuna broke the silence herself.

Tea? she asked, rising from her pile of rags and making her way over to a small fire over which a pot of liquid was bubbling away.

Uh... yes, please!

She picked up a crude wooden ladle and two small bowls made from coconut shells, then began to spoon the liquid into each. When she handed Laki his bowl, he found the warmth in his hands comforting and that the clean, slightly floral fragrance of the tea cut through the cloud of the incense and brought some clarity.

I'm sure you must have surmised by now that the Tangata cult is not a new phenomenon, such as it might appear to those who have seen it's rise here in Nefunuku. The Takele, or rather some of the Takele, worshipped Tangata long before any humans came to Henua and for some time afterwards, too.

I thought the Takele were gone long before humans arrived. That's what all the stories say!

The stories contain grains of truth, but there is much they leave out or get wrong. Most of what they teach about the Takele is false.

Then what happened to them? Why all the ruins now?

It is the same story as always. There was a war. Many races fought for one side or the other. Even humans were split.

So... some of us fought with the Tangata cult?

Au Tahuna nodded sadly.

But... why? What is it about the Tangata cult that led to war in the first place. Why am I so sure that there is something wrong about it?

I could tell you much of the mysteries of the Tangata, but I do not think you would be ready. You must see it for yourself.

Then I've come all this way for nothing, he said, bitterly, staring down at his as yet undrunk tea.

Not at all, Au Tahuna replied kindly in her child's voice. This has been but a step on a journey and I am but a signpost to the future. I will show you the way you must go, but not quite yet. She paused for a moment, then, Drink your tea, then come back to me the before you leave Nefunuku. Tonight, you will find that there are others you must meet. Be open to them, go with them, get involved in their lives, but do not forget to come back to me.

Laki didn't know how he felt. Disgusted, partly, that he had come all this way for so little information, but also intrigued and... scared. He drained his cup - the floral tea was still scalding hot - and left without saying anything.
[-] The following 2 users Like Seraph's post:
  • phoenixofthesun14, rosaferri

Messages In This Thread
A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Seraph - 04-24-2020, 03:23 PM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Nakari - 04-25-2020, 11:56 AM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by rosaferri - 04-26-2020, 01:04 AM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Seraph - 04-26-2020, 10:51 AM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Nakari - 04-27-2020, 01:30 PM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by rosaferri - 04-27-2020, 01:50 PM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Seraph - 04-28-2020, 07:35 AM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Seraph - 04-30-2020, 10:18 AM
RE: A Memory of Starlight [IC] - by Nakari - 04-30-2020, 01:26 PM